Boiler temperature setting for radiators ( Main 30 HE )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A done-to-death topic im sure, but I have heard and found conflicting advice on what temperture the CH Flow temp should be set at.

Obviously Main have made it adjustable, and it will operate at a range of temps, which effect how hot the radiators get and how rapidly they are able to heat the room, and consequently the temperature of the return.

I understand that the return must be sufficently cold in order to condense and gain the benifits of that. Figures vary, but 55deg is quoted fairly often.
At which point its a case of monitering the return temp (handly not displayed by the boiler, which only shows flow temp). But clearly as the rooms warm up and the TRVs close, so the return temp rises.

But I have also heard that the 30HE doesnt like to run in condensing mode and that it causes issues with heat exchanger failures.

Currently im controlling the boiler without a controler or thermostat by just turning it on when i come into work and off when it gets to a comfortable temp or i got to bed because I aquired the houswe with the thermostat not wired in and havent had change to find where the wire comes out and get it wired in.

Daniel

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back