Boiler unsafe due to flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice please.

I have just had my annual british Gas inspection and my boiler has been marked unsafe due to incorrect position of flue. My boiler flue is on the outside wall (which is an extension) which is shared by my neighbours drive, this was done years ago before we moved in. Since the last inspection my neighbour has built a car port which is redirecting the fumes from my boiler back into my boiler.

I have been told that I all I can do is try and redirect the flue onto the flat roof of my extension or have a new boiler installed. Surely my neighbour has no right to make my boiler unsafe by doing this?

If there any regulations that I could use as a guideline please could you post me a link as looking at some of the regulations I find it all so confusing.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Sponsored Links
Picture would be worth a whole lotta words here but If you're saying your flue is technically on your neighbours land you may well have a problem :(

Hi,

(Any info given regarding safety of flue, or gas safety can't be guaranteed to be completely correct, as I haven't seen the job)

The safety of the flue termination within a carport is dependant on more than one factor....

I would need to check the regs to be sure, but I believe condensing CHB's are under no circumstances allowed to terminate in a car port. However, balanced flue's and fanned flue's on SE boilers are ok under certain conditions.... (first and foremost the carport would need to be completely and permanently open on at least 2 sides....)

Could you advise what boiler you have???

With regards to your neighbour's responsibilty, this doesn't fall within the remit of a registered gas installer.... The only aspect the engineer is interested in is whether or not it is safe.... If it's unsafe, it gets shut off, regardless of circumstance... simple as that.... Holding others responsible is an issue for a solicitor I'm afraid....

Martin

I assume that the carport is constructed over your flue?? seems an unusual layout, but you do say it is a "shared" drive , so I would have a look at your house deeds and see if your neighbour could legally put up a car port in the first place, if not i would contact the LABC for advice!!
Neighbour disputes are a nightmare tho! ;)

Sponsored Links
I was thinking what rights has the neighbour used to construct a carport on the SHARED driveway apparently without your permission.

Tony

Think the OP said the wall abuts the neighbours drive not that it's a shared drive in which case the flue shouldn't be there.

Of course that doesn't give them the right to build over it :rolleyes:

My boiler flue is on the outside wall (which is an extension) which is shared by my neighbours drive,

The OP doesn't state that its a 'shared'drive. He is saying that the flue is on an extension wall that is shared (ie. adjacent or abutting) his neighbour's drive.

Of course that doesn't give them the right to build over it :rolleyes:

I think that I would disagree with that Ray.

Nobody has any right to build a flue over land they dont own or even just to discharge over anyone elses land.

Tony

That's true Tony but that still doesn't give anyone the right to make a gas appliance unsafe does it? There are other avenues they would have to go down.

If a neighbour had a flue installed over my property and I filled it in I think the hse would have something to say about it :rolleyes:

l post again without my dyslexic head on I can see that it looks like the OP is going to have to move his boiler as it is discharging across a neighbours boundary :rolleyes:

I have just had my annual British Gas inspection and my boiler has been marked unsafe due to incorrect position of flue. My boiler flue is on the outside wall (which is an extension) which is shared by my neighbours drive, this was done years ago before we moved in. Since the last inspection my neighbour has built a car port which is redirecting the fumes from my boiler back into my boiler.
Make and model of boiler please. This is needed to check the appropriate regulations.

As far as I know, the Gas Safety Regulations state that any builders building any structure that will alter the safe operation ofANY flue, have a duty of care to ensurethat the resultant flue position relative to the new building conforms to the flue location regs. This is an instance where conforming to the GS regs is not just the responsibility of a Gas Installer, but also any person building a structure that affects safe operation of a flue, irrespective of whose flue or whose land it is over.

As far as I know, the Gas Safety Regulations state that any builders building any structure that will alter the safe operation of ANY flue, have a duty of care to ensure that the resultant flue position relative to the new building conforms to the flue location regs.
Nothing in GSIUR regulations; but I would not expect there to be. Approved Document J (Combustion Appliances and Fuel Storage Systems) would be the more appropriate place.

I'm sure it's in the regs D ;)

No one must commit any action to make a gas appliance unsafe, builders have been prosecuted for causing chimneys to block etc.

Usually only after someones died though :rolleyes:

Standard practice is not to have a flue discharging directly within 600mm of the boundary as a minimum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back