Boiler whisltling and Microbore pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a two parter here so any advice that can be offered is greatly received.

Firstly, my Main Eco 30 Combi boiler has recently started making a whistling noise when there is a hot water demand, sometimes a noise can heard through the shower, additionally the hot water seems to be running a couple of degrees cooler than before, occasionally it blips back to where it should be. I recently changed a seal on the one of the water temperature sensors as the old fibre one had dropped to pieces, but I don’t see how this would have affected it though. Is it likely to be air in or around the combustion/hot water area? If so is it possible to bleed it?

Secondly, my central heating pipe work is 8mm microbore and is getting a bit tired, I would like to add another radiator and upgrade another, the plaster over one of the pipes in the wall has cracked and generally they are looking tired. Is it a difficult task to change to 15mm pipe work aside from getting access to the manifold in the floor upstairs, are there any benefits? I like the fact it’s a little more robust.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the flow restrictor rubber gets stretched and will whistle. But it might be something else.

Its probably going to be easier to repipe in 10mm which will be a lot better than 8mm.

To repipe in 22/15mm is a lot of work but gives a good system. It does need to be properly designed though.

Tony

Thanks,

The system currently has 22mm coming to and from the boiler so I assume it would be a case of a 15mm circuit coming from that, plus like you say, thought has to be given to the design.

I will have a look into your suggestion about flow restriction. Its only really happend in the past couple of weeks. It almost sounds like a kettle starting to whistle when it boils and its coming from the bottom of the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the flow restrictor rubber gets stretched and will whistle. But it might be something else.

Tony

Thats part of the boiler!

The key is in the word restrictor ( and not restriction! )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back