Boiler will not fire up after refitting a radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Connected rad and opened bleed valve at top, air escaped as rad filled up but it did not fill completely. Boiler was on while doing this and a gurgling sound panicked me to stop the procedure. I switched the heating off at the timer and then switched it back on. The boiler would not fire up.
I think I stupidly have got air into the system. Went round with a rad key to bleed all rads but still no good. Turned the water on beneath the boiler to replace the lost water. Still no good. The boiler is a potterton Prima F.
i'm pulling my hair out and can beleived how putting a rad back after decorating can cause me so much stress. I won't do it again in a hurry.
Any help would truely be appreciated.
Thankyou in advance >..............lego

Sponsored Links
Will need to bleed air from pump and Auto air vent if its been closed. What boiler is it?.

Did you turn the power off or just the clock?

Have a look under the boiler and you will see the overheat thermostat button - check its fully pushed in.

It appears you have a sealed system - check the pressure doesn't go above 2 Bar when hot - otherwise read the FAQ's on expansion vessels.

Did you turn the power off or just the clock?

Have a look under the boiler and you will see the overheat thermostat button - check its fully pushed in.

It appears you have a sealed system - check the pressure doesn't go above 2 Bar when hot - otherwise read the FAQ's on expansion vessels.

Was going to ask how the hell you knew that GG, then I saw this,The boiler is a potterton Prima F. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Pushed the themstatat button in a hey presto boiler on.
Thankyou thankyou thankyou.
Still a bit paranoid about the pressure as the boiler does not have a pressure gauge.
Can I sleep tonight without fear of being blown to pieces.

Turned the water on beneath the boiler to replace the lost water.

Was this via a braided hose. It would appear to be a sealed system - so you should find an expansion vessel (normally round and red), a safety valve (with a pipe leading to an outside wall), and a pressure gauge. Might be up in the airing cupboard or roof.

Otherwise you have a conventional "open" system - but it is not normal practice or necessarily safe to have an isloating valve on the feed pipe.

Yes the tap had a metal braided hose. I turned it on until it stopped hissing then shut it off.
In the airing cupboard there is a red expansion vessel with a car tyre valve. I must admit to fiddling with it in my desparation earlier. It has no gauge and have yet to trace a pipe to the outside. I have a tyre presure gauge to hand and a bycycle pump. Do I need to check anything.

This is my first ever post and can't beleive you guys do this out of love.
If anyone wants to know how to mess their saturday up please let me return the favour and give you some bad advice...Thanks thanks thanks
and if you like I'll have you babies.

Have a read of the FAQ's on expansion vessels regarding checking and inflating the vessel.

There should be a pressure gauge connected to the system somewhere to show you the pressure to fill the system to and the pressure once the systems hot.

Have a look outside for a 15mm copper pipe sticking out the wall. When you find this trace it back inside and you will find the safety valve and possibly the pressure gauge. Are you sure there is no pressure gauge near the filling loop - perhaps the gauge and safety are connected on top of the boiler.

The babies round my way they are apt to pinching your tools - you have to put them on top of the units (tools not the babies) :) .

Found pipe and the gauge behind a panel on top of boiler.
It is reading 3bar.
Is that ok.
Looked round site and cant find the FAQ's on expansion vessels.

take a cup open a rad vent and take enough water until its down to 2 bar you could open the red/black valve were the pipe goes from to outside but it might start leaking ,3 bar isnt dangerous just to high and if it creeps up it will cause it to go out through your pipe ,easy way ,out of a rad may take a few mins but no leaking valve

Taken pressure down to 1 bar to line up with the red indicator on gauge.
Its just the expansion vessel that is worrying me now.
Thankyou all who helped me tonight and sweet dreams.

Have a look at this //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37170

You have over-presurised the system, it should normally only be filled to 1 Bar. Go outside and you may find the safety valve dripping.

If it's dripping turn the safety valve head several times (let it click as you turn it) to manually open the valve. Let the pressure drop to zero and check the expansion vessel pressure with a tyre valve. As in the FAQ you need about 0.7 Bar. If its lower get a cheap cycle pump and follow the instructions.

If the safety was dripping then don't worry about turning the safety valve several times to realease water - with luck it will seal itself.

Will follow your advice.
Thanks again and I owe you one...goodnight :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back