Boiler willl not start for about 20 mins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I switch either the hot water or CH on, a red light appears after 5 seconds or so and the boiler does not fire up. If I turn it off and on again it will do the same thing. After about 20 mins of swithing off and on it may then fire up.

If I leave it purring away(it sound as though the fan is running but the boiler is not lit) for about 20 minutes with the red light on, and then switch it off and back on it will most likely light OK.

The boiler is a Ravenheat CSI85T, Ravenheat suggest (over the phone) it may be the governor on the meter, does this sound right?

When the boiler is running it seems OK, it is just getting it going.

Also I have noticed that water is dripping from somewhere near the expansion tank at the back of the boiler, don't know if this is connected or not

Sponsored Links
BTW I should add the boiler was installed about 2 months ago. Does anyone have any experience of what the Ravenheat "parts and labour" guarantee actually means, they seem very reluctent to come out and fix the boiler.

If the boiler has been correctly installed and the guarantee registered with ravenheat by a corgi engineer it has a 3 year guarantee.
Every make of boiler has its weakness as with cars. The Ravenheats thorn in the side is the CH thermistor which although its the same item as the DHW thermistor in 95% of cases it is the CH one thats the problem.
On the newer versions of the CSI85T the PCB checks the thermistors before it tries to fire up.
The problem is more common where the system hasn't been flushed properly.
The best course of action for you as already stated is to get the installer back.
If he gets in touch with Ravenheat they will tell him how to fix it and probably send a new thermistor in the post if he doesnt carry one with him.
He will need to give the serial number and your address details if the guarantee isnt registered. The number is 0113 252 7007 and he needs to press '2' when he gets through.
When you call the installer ask him to bring a CH thermistor. If he doesn't carry one now he would be wise to do so if he plans on fitting more of these boilers even if it isnt the thermistor in this case.

Sponsored Links
Last time I installed a (customer supplied) Ravenheat many moons ago, technical were very helpful and cannot understand reluctance to come out. I get the feeling that post may be part of the story.

They will come and check the boiler out. If it is an installation defect (like can often be for a DIY instal), they will charge for coming out.

Anyone would normally immediately call the installer back without posting messages here.

This type of boiler is sold in DIY retail outlets. I strongly suspect this is a DIY installation. If so there may be a fault with the flue fitting.

Any leaks in boilers should immediately be addressed before thay cause any damage.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back