Boiler wont swicth off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i just moved house and installed a new LOGIC boiler. When I go to switch it off using the programmer nothing happens and it just stays on. The only way i can get it to switch off is by switching it off at the spur switch. When I select HW to off and CH to off I can hear and see the motorised valves closing. The plumber who fitted it just said it was a faulty programmer so i contacted the people who make the programmer and they told me to try turning my room thermostat and tank thermostat down. when i done this the boiler never turned off either so they said the problem would be with something else other than the programmer

My room thermostat which never worked so replaced it with a new one and that does not work either.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
external controls somewhere incorrectly wired. get a registered enginneer in. it will save you a great deal of time and money in the long run. Honest! I am also electrically qualified, and can assure you that most electricians are totally baffled by central heating electrics!

Unless you know how the wiring is set up and how to test the circuits at the wiring centre, you may be in a bit of difficulty to test it all.
I don't think it is realistic to explain this from scratch, so may be worthwhile getting your plumber back. Did he test the boiler installation after fitting it?
(A long shot says faulty microswitch on a diverter.)

could be 2 port valve microswitch sticking. Even if they close the switch could be stuck still, firing the pump/boiler

Sponsored Links
external controls somewhere incorrectly wired. get a registered enginneer in. it will save you a great deal of time and money in the long run. Honest! I am also electrically qualified, and can assure you that most electricians are totally baffled by central heating electrics!

thanks for the reply.

Could you advise on which kind of engineer to get as I have had plumbers and electricians looking at it and they just pass the buck. However, the elctrician I had was not a plumbing electrician.

Is it just an 'heating engineer' i would have to try and find

Thanks

get a registered gas engineer in to look at it. this should be bread and butther stuff to them.

You can contact them with a request for a safety inspection. If they find anything that was installed wrong, they will force the installer to correct it.

Now let's hope you used a registered installer.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I have done a bit more investigating and discovered that the one my valves appears to not be closing. I have two motorised valves located:

1 - Is in the in the line going to my tank and closes fine when you select HW to off
2 - is in the line which tee's off the above the line and goes under my floorboards and I assume is the line which all my radiators are connected via. This v/v appears to be 'stuck' open.

When my plumbers were checking why my boiler wouldnt shut off I specifically remember the senior worker asking his junior if the motorised valves were working fine and he said yes??? I guess he just looked at v/v going to my tank and missed the one going to my radiators??

My question is - Would this v/v not closing prevent my boiler from shutting off? How do I troubleshoot whether or not its the v/v thats the problem, the programme which sends the signal?

Thanks again

turn the central heating off at the programmer and you should hear the valve close as the spring pulls it shut and yes if the valve is stuck open the boiler will keep running even with stat and programmer switched off.

turn the central heating off at the programmer and you should hear the valve close as the spring pulls it shut and yes if the valve is stuck open the boiler will keep running even with stat and programmer switched off.

Yip tried it again valve definitely stuck open thanks.

Because the HW valve closes fine do you think its just the valve that needs replacing or could it be the valve is fine and its a problem with the signal from the programmer?

Thanks

How do I troubleshoot whether or not its the v/v thats the problem, the programme which sends the signal?
Why would you? Boiler is under warrantee, and any diy from you would get the installer off the hook; he would be justified in claiming third party interference and refuse all claims.

How do I troubleshoot whether or not its the v/v thats the problem, the programme which sends the signal?
Why would you? Boiler is under warrantee, and any diy from you would get the installer off the hook; he would be justified in claiming third party interference and refuse all claims.

yes my boiler is brand new but the motorised valves are not? When I just moved into the house and the old boiler was there it had the same problem of not swicthing off. So im guessing the problem of the valve has been like this for a while - long before I got the plumber to change the boiler.

So Im assuming the plumber would be of the opinion your motorised valves are not under warranty because they are still the old ones??

Thanks again for all your responses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back