Boiler working when it should be off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 12 year old Ideal Classic Room Sealed Gas Boiler and, upstairs, a hot water tank with 2 motorised valves attached. These are ACL Lifestyle 2-port valves with an A-B switch on each (set to A). Both the heating and hot water are on timer (heating permanently off for summer just now though). Occasionally, although no doubt it will become more of a problem, the system can be heard to be working outside the timer hours. This is especially noticeable upstairs with the sound of whooshing water. The boiler itself clicks and ticks although it's usually just the piot light you can see. A few nights ago I just turned it off at the mains and when I turned it back on again next morning (outside the timer hours) the boiler lit up before eventually reverting to just the pilot (although still making noises). For the last couple of days there's been no problem but I'd like to ensure it stays that way.
Can anyone suggest what the cause(and the cure) of this occasional glitch is? Many thanks indeed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, gents. Are either of the things you've mentioned capable of being attended to by an untrained amateur like myself? I'm guessing not since it involves electrics but, if I'm wrong, how do I go about it? (For a start, I don't even know where I'd find the printed circuit board...).
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, gents. Are either of the things you've mentioned capable of being attended to by an untrained amateur like myself? I'm guessing not since it involves electrics but, if I'm wrong, how do I go about it? (For a start, I don't even know where I'd find the printed circuit board...).
Thanks again.

I think you have answered your own question, to work on part of a boiler carrying gas or safety related parts you need technically to be competent.

You need to check whether the boiler is receiving a live on command when the timer is off.

Typical causes of this in statistical probability order are;

-one of the ACL motorised valve heads is faulty
-Faulty PCB on boiler[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back