Boiler works intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Vokera 20/70 boiler sometimes starts up and at other times will not. When it doesn't work it seems to try and ignite but cannot and makes horrible loud clanging noises. The boiler has also been very noisy for some time now and I have been told that it needs a new heat exchanger. This new problem is very recent and one enginer told me that the 3 metre flue had corroded so also needs changing. Obviously he recommended an complete new boiler and flue, at a price of £2300. Does anyone know if failure to ignite problem could be caused by the flue or is it more likely to be something else? The boiler is 11 years old.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the flue has corroded then the engineer who spotted this should have condemned the boiler straight away as it is Immediately Dangerous :eek:

As for the ignition fault, I would be looking elsewhere other than the flue for this problem.

Although parts will still be available, the flue will not be.

Depending on exactly on how the flue has corroded, it could cause ignition problems.

In some cases it could cause the boiler to fill with unburnt gas and then explode and blow the case apart.

Boilers which have not been properly maintained can be very dangerous!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back