boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right place to post this query, but having just moved into a new flat our boiler seems to be playing up. For two weeks we have had no problems with hot water or heating, yet suddenly last night the boiler appeared to have stopped igniting - it would start, then just click off. Having called in a plumber, he identified a problem with the pump next to the copper cylinder - and we now have heating, however, he claims our cylinder has sprung a leak so we have to replace the whole cylinde - and as he has switched off our hot water we have to do something about this quickly. I take it this is not a job that we could do for ourselves, and wondered if anyone had any idea whether this advice was correct (although understandably it is difficult without seeing the problem) and whether A £350 quote sounds about reasonable for replacement inc labour

Sponsored Links
without more information it is hard to say, short answer get a second plumbers / heating engineers opinion, it may be that your loft tank is not full of water, i doubt if you need a new cylinder, see other post this forum about central heating for more central heating information see this

your plumber claims there is a leak on the cylinder.
Question is ? Do you agree there is a leak.Have you seen it?
If there is a leak where on the cylinder is it ? and can it be repaired in situ?Could it be repaired using a sealant?
Replacing a cylinder 'like' for 'like' is considered to be within the scope of some confident DIYers.
I think cylinders are around the £120 mark and would take a working plumber only a couple of hours to change, so I think the £350 is a bit steep
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
hard to say without knowing the type of cylinder,even if it is a standard looking indirect cylinder it may be a higher grade if you have more than a standard head pressure of water which could easily double the cost. there are so many variables on it you'd need to provide more info.
What I would say is that if he supplied and fitted you a new pump for around the £70/80 mark he's charging the standard rates.
Make sure he shows you any leak in the tank if it's been going for some time it will have stained the copper green, if it looks clean and new and an obvious hole the he probably stuck a screwdriver through it when replacing your pump, claim it on his insurance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back