Boilermate 2000 still blowing fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had 3 plumbers round and the Boilermate 2000 is still blowing the small 3a fuse on the ACB. Fan in the Glow Worm gas boiler has been replaced. Sometimes the system works for about 3 or 4 days then switches off in the evening and won't switch back on because the fuse has blown. I then replace the fuse and it just blows again. It seems that whenever I move something, like the timer, or the Room Thermostat the fuse blows. Can anyone please tell me what the 3a fuse on the ACB actually does, and what may be causing this to blow? Also, there is a thermostat attached to a pipe leading from the Glow Worm Boiler. Can anyone tell me what this thoermostat does please? Getting desperate now as I am sure my leccy bill will be astronomical !! Oh..and the ACB buzzes like anything when the gas cental heating is on. I assume that is the relay? Thanks

Sponsored Links
steveo46 wrote

Had 3 plumbers round

Sounds like you need an electrical technician ,not a plumber . :(

Dont these have on board diagnostics ?

I'd be checking all current carrying components live->earth for signs of a short, then be looking for water leaks getting into anything. Sorry but intermittent blowing fuses can be a pain to locate - I'll dig out the BM2000 manual tomorrow and see if anything jumps out at me. The main live comes into the BM2000 and then goes out to external controls and boiler. If possible split the problem in two (remove external controls so as little as possible is connected electrically - get a permanent live into the boiler switched live and link the roomstat connection out( if you can survive 24/7 CH and hw for a short period for test purposes). I think the key is fuse blows when stat/clock turned up...if still blowing with external linked out, would be looking at the CH pump.

Sponsored Links
sorry just re-read your post - don't know what your technical background is, but if none of that made sense to you, get someone in who knows what they are doing and has a bit of back up (national company?) to have a good look at it. PS thermostat on pipe may be a linked to a frost thermostat (pipe stat cut off - air sensing frost stat comes on at 5degC to prevent freezing - pipe stat goes off at 20-30degC to prevent wasting gas))

Thank Bribhoy, I appreciate your help.
I have just tapped the relay, changed the fuse and it seems to be working now and the relay is not buzzing. Fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back