Boilermate OV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, hope you can give me a few ideas before I get out some instruments or a hammer...

I have 4bedroom house with a Boilermate OV (BMA 185 OV) powered by an Ideal Classic boiler. I live alone (aww) with the hot water on constant so should always have a full hot tank. Oh the house is five years old but this issue has been relevant pretty much from the start

My problem is that sometimes I seem to run out of hot water when in the shower. I've maybe only been in there for a few mins and it goes luke warm. I've jumped out and ran the tap to make sure its not the guts of the shower. Mostly the shower is piping hot but this happens now and again and is annoying

I'm guessing possibly a sensor on the heat exchanger? I know the boiler is only small but dont see this being a problem. I do central heating installations every day but never come across the megaflow type systems...

Ideas greatful thanks,

Alan.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Hope you have fixed it by now......
I have a Boilermate 2000 of similar workings.
Could be the probe is failing and the pump is not getting the correct run signal/voltage, have a good read up on fault codes. You can download the manual quite easily.
The probes are not expensive and can be easily replaced without to much loss of water.
I had a similar failure (mid winter) and as a last resort I wired the pump up to a standard 3 pin plug...not the best idea but it worked until the ABC was replaced complete.
Have Fun,
Rgds Mike

This is probably much more simple than all that.

Check the boiler stat is on maximum setting as it MUST always be when connected to any kind of thermal store.

This is exactly the fault you'd get if it was set too low.

Andy

This is probably much more simple than all that.

Check the boiler stat is on maximum setting as it MUST always be when connected to any kind of thermal store.

This is exactly the fault you'd get if it was set too low.

Andy

I believe the Boilermate can operate at a minimum of 75C. You are right, many drop the boiler stat setting thinking they are saving gas.

Sponsored Links
Boilermate instructions say the boiler stat must be on max, i think. Whatever temp there is in the cyclinder you'll have about 20DegC less at your tap but if it's too low it won't sustain it for long neither.

Hi guys, the boiler stat is indeed at max and all pumps etc working fine. No need to wire pump seperate and no fault code showing.

When I open door to the cupboard housing the unit I can feel the heat is very toastie as water on constant. Can only be this sensor and the mixing of hot and cold. I'll get round to ordering a new one and fitting I think. Probably most easy option.

I guess there is no way of checking what the temp of the hot water leaving the unit is set at? Is this pre-programmed

Alan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back