Boilers in airing cupboards catching fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having new bolier fitted shortly.
Intended to construct airing cupboard around boiler (with the insides removable for maintenance etc.).
I've noticed a few reports of houses buring down after fires started in airing cupboards containing boilers.

Would anyone have an informed opinion if such a cupboard increases the risk of fire, or do boilers occasionally catch fire anyway.

I know my other half will jam in full with clothes. Would a back to the cupboard, keeping the clothing at least 6" from the boiler front, be enough to keep things safe.

Would anyone know how much of a fire risk new boilers are. Installing fire alarms shortly, is it worth sticking one above the boiler?

If it seems like I'm being oversafe, it may be due to having first baby around.

Sponsored Links
Boilers virtually never catch fire!

Users often cause fires by stuffing clothes around boilers which is illegal.

A boiler should have a clear space for ventilation around them. Most only need about 50 mm on the sides but more is safer and aids maintenance.

Its illegal to fit a boiler where clothes can fall against them.

In any case modern boilers are so efficient that the space around them hardly gets warm anyway! So dont expect to be heating clothes from the boiler!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back