Fire regs for room sealed boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise the fire requirements for enclosing a room sealed gas fired combi boiler?

My renovation project draughtsman wants to put the boiler in a fire resistant cupboard because it's located in the hallway which is the fire escape route from the rest of a flat.

Is this necessary for a room sealed boiler? I would have thought a gas fired boiler is more likely to explode than 'burn' and therefore the cupboard would be history well before you needed to escape passed it!

Sponsored Links
well i kind agree with you that it does not need it
but post it on building regs forum for better answer

I think it depends on how many floors the property has , if its more than 2 than , if the boiler is under the stairs , which are the only means of escape than he could well be right !!

I think it depends on how many floors the property has , if its more than 2 than , if the boiler is under the stairs , which are the only means of escape than he could well be right !!
true but that why i reconed he`s better of asking on building regs forum

Sponsored Links
Why dont you ask the person who is doing the drawing where and what reg he has interpreted to come up with this fireproof cupboard,then ring your local building control to confirm

well i kind agree with you that it does not need it
but post it on building regs forum for better answer

No responses yet on that forum.

The house is a bit odd. It is terraced into a hillside so the top floor is a 'bungalow' from the top floor entrance side and 3 floors when viewed from the other and 2 floors in between, if you see what I mean.

Therefore in terms of escape the living room is 3 floors up, the bedrooms and bathroom are 2 floors up and the entrance hall (where the boiler now is) is effectively at ground level! We had to rearrange the layout so that any bedrooms were adjacent to the hall and also 'jumpable'. We weren't allowed to have any bedrooms on the far side of the living/kitchen area, ie at 3 floors up, due to risk of being trapped.

So I suppose the main issue is whether the boiler constitutes a fire risk and could prevent escape. Do rooms with boilers in need fire doors in a normal house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back