Boilers & pilot lights & wind ...... & having to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
30 Years ago we got this Glow worm open wall hung balanced flue boiler..... The wind when in a certain direction would blow out the pilot light ...... So we stuck two bitsa wood on the sides of the flue which improved matters

20 Years later the boiler was replaced with a what was called a brilliant bitta tech The Baxi Solo 2 the sealed fanless one ........ Not only did this one blow out occasionally ........ Well more frequently than the other one..... Rain actually managed to get blown in to the combustion chamber & we used to keep a oven tray under it ...... Just incase ...... Catchin' the drips...... Tried cowling it by various means, but the Corgi man used to take it off & say its dangerous & unnessary...... Any way Corgi man or not & dangerous or not, no mater what we did it still went out & it still let water in. He was good at turning up & doing nothing & billing us for it tho

Currently I have a decision to make ...... Do I believe the blurb & fit a third boiler in the same spot ..... Or do I fit it somwhere else ? .............. I really would feel like a complete Duck Egg if I allowed the same thing to happen for a third time........ Well I'm gonna go for a bathroom cupboard fit & poke the flue thro the roof tiles (With the proper kit don't go getting excited)

After all that you would think I lived in a lighthouse or summink...... Nope its jsut a end terraced three bedromed house & the flue is in the passage way........ As it happens Mrs Woman next door has a combi & that frequently just stops all together & requires resetting with a flame related code (Dunno nuffink bout her boiler..... Never seen it) I do know the flue drips tho :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Your first boiler may have been fitted incorrectly flue-position wise. Flue position has over a period of time, been tweeked with distances from abutments etc. Add to this lack of/ damaged case seals, you end up with imbalanced air flow in the combustion chamber knocking out the pilot. Pilot outage could also be due to lack of service, thermocouple failure, dirty pilot and gas valve faults to name a few.

Your second boiler installation is incorrect (again flue wise) as the flue should slope downward to the outside. Water ingress then plays havoc with electronic ignition.

Comination boiler?? Well, loved by the installars but too many bits to go wrong. Good for me as all I do is boiler repairs. If you are looking for a sound system, my advise is get the flue sorted on the present boiler and upgrade the hotwater cylinder. If the boiler fails, at least you can heat water electrically. And get a proper service on the boiler (not a 15 minute hoover and operational check)

Things are wrong & need putting right ...... Umm No Shizz ........ I'm calling time on the long list of bozo's that we have had to the systems over the years ...... I'm starting again from scratch (Can't do no worse)

Nahh not goin' combi ....... I don't subscribe to combi mania :D

System Boiler in the compartment above the cylinder cupboard .....Groovy ;)

Whaaaaa ? Where Am I going to keep the towels? :rolleyes: .......... Ahhh Sphericals Woman

Sponsored Links
DP said:
the flue should slope downward to the outside. Water ingress then plays havoc with electronic ignition.

The flue hole is 12"X6" ......... ok its split 50/50 in & out ....... But a wee hill ain't gonna stop the water ........ Its Pizeo ign

Either way its a case of ........ Bahh Bin it ........ If ya want somthing doing .....etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back