Boiling Water in Hot water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Appollo Myson gas boiler, which could have been original with our house (1900 victorian!!)

We had it serviced last year, and the eng fitted a new CH pump as the water was boiling in the pipes, as it was failing. He suggested we flush the system out, which i studiously did (by removing each rad etc) and refilled and added inhibitor.

I then decided that i wanted to have hotter rads and water, so i flipped the setting on the boiler over to high instead of low (only other option is off!!) and the central heating worked amazingly. The problem is then when you only select HW the water boils then bangs and it then has to be shut off.

I preusme that the boiler cant get the water away quick enough when there is only a short run to the HW tank. I have checked the bypass valve and it is open(although it is only short circuiting the HW tank- 15mm pipe) and everythign else seems in order.

Is there something else i should be checking before the £100 an hour heating enginer comes round.

Thanks in advance.

regards

Sponsored Links
i wanna know where you live, £100 hr sounds good.

i wouldn't mind commuting in my Porsche (don't believe everything you read).

the boiler is a bean can with a few candles under it.

you need a good pump & a clean system. both of which have been addressed.

the burner pressure must be correctly set.

my moneys on heat exchanger waterways & system still has muck in.

it would be best to blow out one of the candles (turn back to low).

save your money for a new boiler.:cool:

point taken,

just hoped there might be something simle to try.

I def need to find a cheaper plumber.....

I have a Appollo Myson gas boiler, which could have been original with our house (1900 victorian!!)

We had it serviced last year, and the eng fitted a new CH pump as the water was boiling in the pipes, as it was failing. He suggested we flush the system out, which i studiously did (by removing each rad etc) and refilled and added inhibitor.

I then decided that i wanted to have hotter rads and water, so i flipped the setting on the boiler over to high instead of low (only other option is off!!) and the central heating worked amazingly. The problem is then when you only select HW the water boils then bangs and it then has to be shut off.

I preusme that the boiler cant get the water away quick enough when there is only a short run to the HW tank. I have checked the bypass valve and it is open(although it is only short circuiting the HW tank- 15mm pipe) and everythign else seems in order.

Is there something else i should be checking before the £100 an hour heating enginer comes round.

Thanks in advance.

regards

do you have a cylinder stat fitted

Sponsored Links
yeah, have a HW stat on the cylinder, although the boiling happens from cold.

I think the stat is working, as if you play with the temp it activates/deactivates the HW.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back