Bolier inlet valve leaking from nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

Got a new problem. Called in a gas safe plumber to replace the flow switch on the Ideal Response boiler.

As soon as he started closing the nut on the DHW inlet pipe and the Central heating pipe, they started to leak a bit. The guy stopped and said due to valves being very old and not moved since a long time, it would not be wise to go any further with the work.

He put everything back together and tried to put the screw type nuts back to
original position at the bottom for the DHW inlet and Central heating flow feeds.

But the problem is that there is still a bit of leak from these two nuts (like one drop every few minutes). There was no leak before this so any idea how this can be sorted without spending on new valves which doesn't make sense for an old boiler. I would not like to blame the guy as I don't think he did anything wrong as I was watching as he was doing.

How can I fix this leak please? Is this kind of leak normal and is it true we might break more things if we try and go ahead to change the flow switch?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
To be fair this happens a lot with older boilers/ valves that havent been touched in years. I tend not to touch the isolation valves on older boilers, i drain water level below boiler instead. I'm afraid you might need new iso valves.

You call someone experienced to see your boiler but you don't seem to have paid him anything even though he acted totally correctly.

Now you are asking on here how to replace the valves without buying new ones!

Perhaps you have led a sheltered life but when you call a professional to help you then you should expect to pay them!

Nor should you expect to get new valves without paying for them!

You make yourself sound like a scrounger who lives off the state and never expects to pay for anything!

TBH the best place for an Ideal Response is a Skip! ;)
as things stand you have no hot water?? and leaking iso valves??

You will have to do something unless you like having no hot Water! :)

Sponsored Links
Agile / Tony,

I must say this is a very rude response to a simple polite help request. This is not the first time I have seen you responding like this and I have seen others slapping you straight for that by way of their reply. So you might be good at boilers but behavior is something you need to probably still learn.

Although I don't need to justify anything to you, but still to mention: The guy came to do a job, could not do it so himself went away - what is wrong in that. I did not denied paying anything and would have been more than happy to pay to get it fixed properly!

So in general please don't bother responding if you cannot or don't want to contribute.

Thanks to others who have responded with the best intentions. The situation at the moment is the boiler actually works fine. Both central heating and hot water works. The only problem is the hot water only works when taps opened almost fully which is why the intention was to get the flow switch changed. I still want to get the flow switch changed if at all possible without causing more problems with the valves.

Good thing is that one of the valve seems to have stopped leaking. The other one is leaking a drop every few minutes which I am thinking of put some seal around to handle it temporarily.

If there is no way to change the flow switch without troubling the valves and making them leak, then probably I will think of changing the boiler in coming weeks.

If your thnking of changing your boiler in a couple of weeks whats the point in putting a flow switch on when u still can get hot water?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back