Bolt Down Post Shoe on single Skin Garden Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My post relates to a brick wall that ran the length of my back garden with wooden panels on top that were attached by wooden fence posts situated on my neighbours side of the wall.

Last year part of the wall collapsed and the neighbours claimed that the wall was mine (despite the posts being situated on their side) and therefore, it was my responsibility to repair it.

I replaced the demolished section with concrete posts and wooden panels and rebuilt the remainder of the brick wall up to the concrete post as the foundations were intact. I attach a picture showing the new posts and panels and remaining wall that was rebuilt.

The issue I now have is that they have now removed the remaining wooden fence panels and posts that were attached on their side (although you can see from the pic they needed to come down) but are not prepared to allow me to replace them as they said they do not want to the posts on their side.

My question is would it be possible to mount fencing on the wall using bolt down post shoes on top of the brick wall and H shaped slotted wooden posts? The length that needs fencing is approximately 4m long and I do not want to have to go to the expense of removing the remaining brick wall or having wooden posts fixed to the wall on my side.

If my method of fencing is not viable any advice on how I can fence over the top of this wall, without needing to attach posts on my side would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I do not want to leave the length unfenced as my neighbours have small children who like to climb over and throw various toys over when I'm in the garden for me to collect.

Sponsored Links

I'd hazard that if the posts were close to the brickwork last time that's probably why it came down. Anyway any posts fixed into the top of the wall or even to it will bring the whole wall or the top few bricks down again. The fence needs to be independent of the wall.

The reason part of the wall collapsed was due to a tree root. This is why I chose to replace that particular section with posts and panels as I did not want to have to bridge over the root.
The tree has now been removed, the root cropped back and poisoned. The rebuilt section is perfectly sound.

Sponsored Links
If they claim that it is your fence, they do not have the right to demolish it, and they do not have the right to prevent you from rebuilding.

It cuts both ways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back