Replacing fence on top of garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The dividing fence between us and our neighbours has finally succumbed to the wind and we have decided to share the cost of the replacement.

The current fence was put up by the previous neighbour about 15 years ago with timber posts which ( I think) are bolted to the wall - wall is 9" brick about 1 metre high.

We would be looking at a 1 Metre high fence to go on top of the wall but are unsure of the best way to achieve this ( wooden or concrete posts , close board or panels). Currently the posts are on the neighbours side of the wall and the panels are attached from our side.

We are looking at a run of about 16 metres x1 metre atop of the wall. We will probably get this carried out by a contractor but wondered roughly what sort of cost we are looking at.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you bolt the posts to the wall you risk them pulling the wall over. The correct way to do it it to have them a centimeter or so clear of the wall. This is often a pain as you run into the footing of the wall but you must break it out where needed to get enough depth of your post hole for the concrete to hold the post securely.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion but in all honesty I could foresee that the next strong wind would bring down the fence along with a couple of courses of bricks from the wall.
I would suggest a 'hit and miss' panel, fixed to the top of the wall. Any solid panel is going to get battered. Solid panels will also create turbulence on the leeside.
I'm assuming the wall is double skin and not falling apart....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back