Bolting Joist to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to bolt a joist to the external wall of a house. The joist the runs parallel to the external wall has had a section cut out, so I want to bolt it to the wall to put it right. What kind of bolts would be best to use for this?

Sponsored Links
Rawlbolts (10 or 12mm) or #10 x 5in (5.0 x 125mm) / #12 x 5 ~6in (6.0 x 125~150mm) screws into brown plugs, 7mm holes will also do

Rawlbolts (10 or 12mm) or #10 x 5in (5.0 x 125mm) / #12 x 5 ~6in (6.0 x 125~150mm) screws into brown plugs, 7mm holes will also do

What are rawlbolts? I think I would need an angled drill to drill the hole as it's between two joist.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that what you will do is to fix the joist to the wall in the same way you'd fix a wall plate.

What are rawlbolts? I think I would need an angled drill to drill the hole as it's between two joist.
Google them. They're commonly used to support wall plates, etc. Whilst it won't make as good a fix it is possible to drill a hole from beneath at a shallow angle using a long drill bit and then insert your fixing. Whatever you use it will need to be something like twice (or more) as long as the the thickness of the joist (so a 90 x 44 joist - 88+mm fixing)

Thanks, would thunder bolts be ok? 12mm ones. I could drill a 10mm hole at a slight angle with a long drill bit as can't get the drill in between the joists. Then impact drive the thunder bolt in was going to use two. Sound ok?

Use a rawl bolt

If an adjacent joist stops you getting your drill in, see if you can drill a hole in the adjacent joist, pass the drill bit through it, and drill your hole from further away, I.e. Using a longer drill bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back