Bonding again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone explain why it is not good practice to return the cable to the main earth block.

Sponsored Links
because you will die if you do.

What fookin cable would help!!

Bonding what?

Bathroom, Kitchen, Main Equipotential bonding?

Supply type?

David

budgie said:
Can someone explain why it is not good practice to return the cable to the main earth block.

its not good proctice to connect a live cable to the earth block. why? well i thought that was obvious.

try tellin us what cable you mean and then we have a chance to help. we not mind readers

Supplementary bonding from bathroom.
First time I have asked a question on this forum. Little surprised at tone of reply!!! We are not all experienced electrician.

Sponsored Links
budgie said:
Supplementary bonding from bathroom.
First time I have asked a question on this forum. Little surprised at tone of reply!!! We are not all experienced electrician.
but we still need to know exactly what your doing.

bathroom bondgin is a 4mm earth from the earth terminal in the light fittin, linkin the radiator, hot and cold water pipe and linking other metal fixings. i.e metal shelf

Can I assume then that there is no need to return the 4mm cable back to the main earth block and that it is sufficient to make connection into light or shower fitting. The reason I asked question in first place was I`d read it was bad practice to return this 4mm cable to the main earth block and I wondered why.

budgie said:
Can I assume then that there is no need to return the 4mm cable back to the main earth block and that it is sufficient to make connection into light or shower fitting. The reason I asked question in first place was I`d read it was bad practice to return this 4mm cable to the main earth block and I wondered why.

bathroom bonding is from the light. it does not need to be taken back to the MET

Because at least in theory, the fewer electrical connections going into the bathroom the better. The idea of bonding is to create a little enclosure where everything earthy which might somehow get to be at a different voltage is connected firmly together. So adding extra routes directly to earth just makes things worse. What you are trying to do is keep everything at the same voltage. From a safety point of view it does not matter if that voltage is 0, 100, 240 or 500 wrt true earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back