bonding kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
copper pipes from taps 6 inches then into a valve and from there plastic piping

to bond or not to bond?

xxx

Sponsored Links
You are not required to Supplemetary Bond in kitchens if that's what you meant.

However, main Bonding is required to incoming metallic services where they enter the building (or come up through a concrete floor) on the consumer's side of the stop cock and any meter.

If it is partly plastic and partly metal, bond to the first metal section.

JohnD said:
However, main Bonding is required to incoming metallic services where they enter the building (or come up through a concrete floor) on the consumer's side of the stop cock and any meter.
quote]

Gas meter and pipe work must be within 600mm of meter and before the first T in the pipe work, not where it first enters the building.

Really?

What if the meter is in an external cabinet, supplying a flat on the third floor? Still bond at the meter? or where the pipework actually introduces a potential into the equipotential zone?

Sponsored Links
I come across this many times and still find that it has to be 600mm from meter. Our gas regs are slightly different to your electric regs I think. The only time I believe that the meter is not bonded as described is if it is in a seperate building such as a detached garage, then your 'at first point on entry of building' applies.

Any external gas meter is going to be outside the equipotential zone, is it not? Or maybe my understanding of the equipotential zone is incorrect :confused:

RF is referring to the reasons we bond incoming services and it is all to do with introducing a potential (generally earth potential) into the equipotential zone, which is where the occupant may come into contact with parts of the electrical system.

If it doesn't introduce such a potential then there is no need to bond it at all and bonding it outside achieves nothing extra.

I don't think my wording was very good, because I was actually thinking about a plastic water pipe coming into the house through the kitchen floor.

dingbat said:
RF is referring to the reasons we bond incoming services and it is all to do with introducing a potential (generally earth potential) into the equipotential zone, which is where the occupant may come into contact with parts of the electrical system.

If it doesn't introduce such a potential then there is no need to bond it at all and bonding it outside achieves nothing extra.

But then why do our gas regs state it must be 600mm from meter and before the first T, I mean I know why they state it, but am trying to understand from your point above, if that makes sense :confused:

The IEE regs say you can do one of two things:

either bond within 600mm & before any branch pipework, or you can bond where the pipework enters the property.

This first bit is the same as your "gas" regs, do they also mention the latter?

as it does at my nans, the gas meter is in the box outside, pipes go from the box along the outside wall to the kitchen at the back of the house, and a gas heater in the front hallway.. entering the house at 2 points...

whilst taking part in a previous argument on this subject I happened to take a reading of the resistance between these 2 pipes with the earth bonds disconnected..

it was a few ohms..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back