Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is supplementary bonding =cross bonding hot and cold pipes to the bath.

And is equipotential bonding=bringing metalwork to the same potential as the room ie , connecting a metal fitting with built in mirror and lights in a bathroom and connecting it to your shower circuit and light circuit cpc is this necessary if all the circuits have rccd protection ???

Sponsored Links
You've taken the two adjectives from "supplementary equipotential bonding" and decided that there's one thing, which is "supplementary bonding" and another which is "equipotential bonding".

There are not two separate things.

Regulation 601-04-01 requires that the protective conductor terminals of each circuit supplying Class I and Class II electrical equipment in zones 1, 2 or 3, and extraneous-conductive-parts in these zones, are all connected together by local supplementary equipotential bonding conductors.

See these:

http://rapidshare.com/files/96697332/NL139supp.pdf

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/files/gb/attachments/niu/l/attachments/e169-9.pdf

If i ran an earth wire from the metal bath to the MET at the consumer unit would this be wrong because the bath would still be earthed and a fault current would still flow down this route , so tripping the rccd

Sponsored Links
I thought thats what i said or are you implying that the rccd would take to longer to trip

If i ran an earth wire from the metal bath to the MET at the consumer unit would this be wrong because the bath would still be earthed and a fault current would still flow down this route , so tripping the rccd

That is not what equipotential bonding is for.

Earthing and bonding are two separate things, with quite different purposes. What you describe is a hybrid of these two things which, quite by accident, may achieve your desired aim... if you only knew what that aim was. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back