Bong bing bong.........bong bing bong......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An app I use makes a noise like that, which is too intrusive. It's loud, & goes on echoing after you've clicked to stop it.
I can't find in the Windows 10 PC which noise it is. I've looked at the list of named alert noises, and played all the wav files I can find.

ANy deas how I can find it?

Sponsored Links
An app I use makes a noise like that, which is too intrusive. It's loud, & goes on echoing after you've clicked to stop it.
I can't find in the Windows 10 PC which noise it is. I've looked at the list of named alert noises, and played all the wav files I can find.

ANy deas how I can find it?
Have you tried searching for *.wav in file explorer?

Event viewer > windows logs > applications may help.

Last edited:
Windows 10 has a 'volume mixer' which allows you to control the volume of each application individually. Right-click on the volume control in the bottom right and select "Open Volume mixer". You could try adjusting the volumes here to help identify which application is bing bonging.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's definitely an app? If you have a lot of tabs open in your browser, and if you've set your tabs to reopen from last time every time you boot, it may be a webpage.

Common culprits are Chat windows from company pages that are trying to get your attention. If you think this could be the solution, keep your browser open and watch for an icon which flashes temporarily even time you hear that noise. On Chrome it shows a speaker, iirc!

Find the apps installation folders and search in them for the wav files, you could always try and replace it with something you prefer as long as you name it the same.

Thanks all, but....

Turn your speakers down?
It's relative to the other noises...
Have you tried searching for *.wav in file explorer?

Event viewer > windows logs > applications may help.
Yes I've played all the .wav files as I said, hundreds of them - none of them make this noise! Surprising what 's in there - motorbikes, animals, all sorts
Windows 10 has a 'volume mixer' which allows you to control the volume of each application individually. Right-click on the volume control in the bottom right and select "Open Volume mixer". You could try adjusting the volumes here to help identify which application is bing bonging.
Each app? Ta I'll look for that.
THe app is whichever browser, because it's a web app doing it. I know which , cos I set the alerts. A ticking noise would be fine....
Are you sure it's definitely an app? If you have a lot of tabs open in your browser, and if you've set your tabs to reopen from last time every time you boot, it may be a webpage.

Common culprits are Chat windows from company pages that are trying to get your attention. If you think this could be the solution, keep your browser open and watch for an icon which flashes temporarily even time you hear that noise. On Chrome it shows a speaker, iirc!
Yep, web app. Tried Firefox and Chrome, same racket.
Find the apps installation folders and search in them for the wav files, you could always try and replace it with something you prefer as long as you name it the same.
It's not installed at all, it's on't web.

It's a stock trading thing, so you leave the web page open. When the price hits the value set, off it goes.
I've used a few, and they all make odd noises, but mostly they're "smaller" noises. This one continues forever.

BY the way if you have a noise coming from "somewhere" and can't find it, try "Tabhunter" add-in, you can filter by noise-making ones. Very useful if some damned Ad sparks up after something you forgot about.

Most likely the PC is alerting you to a trading opportunity to double your money.

It's not installed at all, it's on't web.

The Vivaldi browser lets you mute individual tabs. It, like Chrome and Edge is Chromium based. Hover next to the X (close button for the tab) and you will see an option to mute that particular tab.

It may well be the case that you allowed a certain site to send notifications. If so, in chrome

"Go to Chrome’s settings by clicking the three-dot icon and choosing “Settings” from the menu that appears. Click the “Privacy and security” option in the menu on the left and go to “Site Settings.”
Go to “Notifications,” and you are presented with a list of the notification settings for different sites you visit."

The Vivaldi browser lets you mute individual tabs. It, like Chrome and Edge is Chromium based. Hover next to the X (close button for the tab) and you will see an option to mute that particular tab.

It may well be the case that you allowed a certain site to send notifications. If so, in chrome

"Go to Chrome’s settings by clicking the three-dot icon and choosing “Settings” from the menu that appears. Click the “Privacy and security” option in the menu on the left and go to “Site Settings.”
Go to “Notifications,” and you are presented with a list of the notification settings for different sites you visit."
Thanks I will have a look.

Sponsored Links
Back