Book on plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good book on plumbing and central heating. I have a few basic DIY books, but would like something that goes into more detail – explains all different types of valves e.g.

Difference between type A and B drain cock. Service valve vs. isolating valve. Full bore, ball, gate valves; double/single check valves, etc. Pipe sizes, rules for connection e.g. steel to copper, etc.

Basically an all round plumbing and heating book !

Sponsored Links
"Plumbing , Heating and Gas Installations" by R.D.Treloar.
ISBN 0-632-05332-1
is excellent. Standard first college textbook. Eg has half a dozen pages describing "Cocks, Taps and Valves"

But don't knock the DIY boolets, they're close to the real world of the bits you can actually buy easily.

"Plumbing Encyclopedia", Treloar, 0-632-04056-4 Lowish level, pictures of basic stuff.

"Hot and Cold Water Supply" British Standards Institute, will take you further. 0-632-04985-5

Knowledge is power!

Having noticed some of your postings :oops: you'd get a lot from the WRAS Water Regulations Guide, 0-9539708-0-9. Not as dry as it might appear?

Thanks Chris.
Have ordered the Treloar book and one on IEE wiring regs. The WRAS will have to wait for a while. I think my parents will be OK though - as a child I had a chemistry set and tried to make stink bombs by mixing everything together and adding a load of vinegar. It didn't work and without thinking I poured it all back into the vinegar bottle, then realised all the chemicals were in there as well. I didn't have vinegar on my chips for years afterwards, but they survived.

Sponsored Links
the r.d treloar is a good book as chris r said but you could also try PLUMBING-MECHANICAL SERVICES BY G.J BLOWER.ive got the 3rd edition from the library but i think there is a new edition with minor updates.theres lots of info on taps,valves etc.theres 2 books;level 1+2.theres also books by MASTERMAN AND BOYCE(1,2+3)with lots of good info.these books by 3 different authors are what the colleges take a huge chunk of their text from so they would be a good investment.

Yes they're good too though I prefer Treloar - library might be worth visiting!

Try Central Heating Fault Finding and Repair by John Reginald

Excellent in all aspects :D

Wheres the hat gone :eek:

crikey that was quick!! .i agree,i've bought treloars but loaned the others.keep forgetting to renew them :oops: i think fine is into double figures :confused: :oops:

BAHCO said:
Try Central Heating Fault Finding and Repair by John Reginald

Excellent in all aspects :D

Wheres the hat gone :eek:
is that the one that costs bout 30 quid but well worth it

Thanks chaps (I assume you're chaps); I'll see how I get on with the Treloar and then maybe check the others out in the library.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back