boosting my pressure

sorry to sound simple will the pump i have work and will it effect performance if positioned above or below cylinder

If you have a positive head pump, No, it will not.

There is no difference between the actual pumps. I think what you are referring to is a "pumpset" like the one in your image which has the necessary components added (ie, expansion vessel , nrv and pressure transducers).
The component in the link I posted earlier houses the pressure switch and the nrv.

A positive head pump works on a flow rate of 2Ltrs/m minimum via a reed switch, so unless you disable the switch and fit a pressure switch instead it will not work.

Th OP is being badly advised by posters that are obviously not in the trade.

Wow ! I think that system is slightly over designed.

Why use pressure reducing valves where flow restrictor's will do ?

Do you intend to ditch the Cold water storage as 2bar mains is not ideal?

You had better store a lot of water unless your shower is fairly flow restrictive.

When you turn on the system do the street lights dim.

The combination pressure reducing valve supplied with the cylinder forms part of the Wras approval and must, be fitted
[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Now I am getting confused here
The combination pressure reducing valve supplied with the cylinder forms part of the Wras approval and must, be fitted
the pressure reducing valves I am talking about are in the drawing in the first posts Re pre basins nothing to do with the pressure reducing valve fitted prior to the cylinder or otherwise Know as Pressure balancing valve as that is where the Cold supply is taken from.

If you mean I am not from the industry. I think 25 years experience takes me away from the diy market. and I am a technical adviser / ex on site plumber and comissioning engineer.

The drawing is lacking many details and you didn't make it clear what you were talking about.

I originally thought the OP was connecting the cylinder to the mains, and using the pump and tank cold to boost the pressure, again that is unclear from the drawing.

Just to recap - He is storing Cold water that is the Break tank then into the pump with a pressure switch - then with a pressure vessel on the supply line to a pressure balancing valve - then into cylinder.

That is fine!!!

Sponsored Links
hi mr norcon you pointed me towards pumps express for a pressure controller, theres 3 ekopress easypress and brio also theres one on machine mart which is cheaper do you know which ones best suited for me, liked ekopress as its brass body apposed to plastic, should i add a small expansion vessel arfter the pump as a buffer,

thanks all for all your input

Just to recap - He is storing Cold water that is the Break tank then into the pump with a pressure switch - then with a pressure vessel on the supply line to a pressure balancing valve - then into cylinder.

That is fine!!!

Agreed, except it isn't a pressure balancing valve, true it has the option for a balanced cold, but its an combination pressure reducing valve incorporating an NRV and PRV.

And yes the pump most have it's own expansion vessel.

just had a thought can i instead of using a expansion vessel, vent it via a pressure relief valve back into the cwsc, the cylinder balancing valve is preset to 3bar if i set this slightly higher it would have a head of 7 meters and would help if the pump over runs and have a larger capacity then a small vessel.

any thoughts

You are not allowed to exclude or modify any parts or fittings.

The design has been approved by Wras, and in case you're thinking DIY you need to hold a valid G3 ticket for un-vented cylinders.

would not be mofiifying cylinder that would still have the vessel and safety devices, i was thinking about the feed out of pump and into cylinder having a vent there instead of a vessel to absorb any water if the pump overruns or is pushing out too much, the pump comes bare so would be adding further safety features not excluding, as far as the g3 ticket my friend just finished the course, however they dont cover much about water coming in more to do with using correct sized vessel and correct safety devices on the cylinder.

thanks

And how will the system pressurize if there's an open pipe.

you seem to be over complicating things, the pump just needs a small expansion vessel as a buffer, a pressure switch and non return valve. set pressure switch to switch off at 3 bar and on at 2.5 job done. The pump can be fitted anywere as long its below water level of cold water storage tank, would also fit low level float in tank to protect pump

technotim wrote:

That is fine!!!

doitall you are right but I think you know what I meant it was an obious terminology mistake. :rolleyes:

mrrigidtool: Have you plumbed it in yet :LOL:

Why can I not quote people In a white text box.

I am rubbish at using forum tools :confused:

You press the quote button on the right hand side of the text you want quote.

Yes I know exactly what you meant :rolleyes:

Problem with DIY forums, you have to make sure that others do as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back