Boot lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extension that was built on the back of the house many years ago. The opening into the extension was already a wide one for a patio door and had a boot type conrete lintel over the top. It seems that this was not upgraded.

My concern is that the lintel, originally intended to only hold the outer skin of the house above it, is now taking some of the load of the flat roof terrace. There is some movement in masonry above it, but no evidence of failure. However, as the roof needs replacing, some of the masonry will be disturbed and I don't know how close to failure it might be.

Is this something I should be concerned about? The lintel that supports the outerskin doesn't appear to have any bearing on the outer skin below it, only resting on the inner skin. Like these, but wider:

Don't really want to mess around with steels if possible, but if needs must.

Fubar.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify what the concern is...

This is essentially how the joists are sitting. There is an opening in the internal skin under the joists, so the lower blocks represent the support at the ends of the lintel.

Fubar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back