Boot up problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since removing AVG 8, different post, it has left me with an intermittent problem that when the PC is turned on it often will not boot to windows XP (SP3).

It appears to load the bios ok (if thats what you call it) but then just gives a blank black screen with just the cursor flashing at the top.

It can take up to 10 resets before the cursor continues down the screen further and windows starts to boot.

I had hoped that when I re-partitioned and formatted, then re-loaded everything, it would have cured it, but it hasn't :mad:

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It sounds a disk problem, of which there are many types and manifestations.

Is it by any chance a Dell with a Samsung HDD?

Dave,
Couple of questions first.
1. How did you remove AVG 8.0?
2. Did you replace it with any other AntiVirus software, if so, which?

The problem is probably caused by leftovers from AVG conflicting withyour new AV software.
The best way will probably be to download AVG 8 again and remove it completely with RevoUninstaller.

First thing, download and install RevoUninstaller from:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Then download, but DO NOT install, AVG 8.0 from
http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afe

Physically disconnect from the internet (Unplug your phone connection)
Dis-able any antivirus that you have now installed.
Install AVG 8.0
Once installed, run Revo Uninstaller and it will shut down and remove AVG. It will then scan your registry for any leftovers (from this or the previous install), click to remove all traces that it identifies in bold type.
Click next and it will check Program files, select all that it finds and delete them.
That should have removed every bit of AVG.

Re-enable your AntiVirus and re-boot.

If AVG was causing the problem then you should be OK now.
dave

Sponsored Links
sounds like bad sectors on your hard drive when its looking for the OS drivers.
I had a similar problem.
Do a complete disk check from within windows and restart.It will test and correct disk errors.

Once you format and re-install the OS the AVG should not interfere.
I personally hate SP3 for XP, stick to SP2 or upgrade to vista if you can.

I take it you using Kasperky from another post, which should be enough but
i use the Comodo PF 3.0 as extra protection they don't seem to interfere and you can set it to installation mode if you try to install software.

Good luck

Once again thanks everyone.

The AVG was removed using the AVG un-installer and the boot up problem occured before I installed Kaspersky 2009.

Although AVG told me it had been totally un-installed, when I tried to install Kaspersky it told me it couldn't install due to AVG 8 still being there :confused:

I looked through the AVG web site for a removal tool, as with Norton, but could not find one.

This is why in the end I re-formatted and partioned my hard drive. After loading everything, including all the latest updates for everything, it still gave the boot up problem.

I also had this AVG not appearing to be un-installed on another of my PC's but managed to find the cause and eliminate it this time with reg edit.

Hence my 'wishing I'd never heard of it :mad: '.

I assume from all your replies that it appears to be a HD fault, rather than software or bios?

Perhaps I will just buy another :cry:

I would carry out the HDD disk check and see if any bad sectors are found.
It still could be a XP problem with drivers as is the case with SP3 i have found. I use SP2 and update to critical fixes but haven't gone SP3.

If you still have warranty on your HDD you could ask for replacement.

Just now finished the CHKDSK.

No bad sectors found.

Took 11 attempts before the thing booted into CHKDSK though :mad:

if u are shuting down correctly then no disk errors out to occur
seems like its a software issue.
u may be able to use safe mode or last good config to sort this
if u used system restore when u were re-installing then rollback to earlier version
i dont think its a bios since u havent changed it . is ur software diff to b4
i could be uhave gone to sp3 via sp2 i would stay sp2 and see what happens
if all fails re-format full and clean install with min sofware and create restore backups after each major software.

Even though chkdsk found no problems it may be worth your while to check your disk using the manufacturers disk utility. Maxtor and Seagate utilities can be found Here.

Have you checked that your HDD is being recognised correctly in BIOS?

The problem is probably caused by leftovers from AVG conflicting withyour new AV software.
How so, given that:

1. The disc was reformatted.
2. It's not even booting to Windows.

sounds like bad sectors on your hard drive when its looking for the OS drivers.
Really? Are the sectors temporarily "good" again on the occasions that it boots?

seems like its a software issue.
Really? Given that the software in use at boot time is supposed to be that in the MBR/PBR, then NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM, what "issue" do think this software is having?

u may be able to use safe mode or last good config to sort this
How would you use those functions to solve a problem that prevents those functions being used?

if u used system restore when u were re-installing then rollback to earlier version
He reformatted. FFS. :rolleyes:

i dont think its a bios since u havent changed it .
You can't say what it isn't until you know what it is.

gas4you, have you checked the physical connections between motherboard and disk?

Does the occurrence appear to be temperature related?

Does the drive makes any unusual noises, e.g. clicking?

Does the drive sound as though it's spinning on those occasions when the PC doesn't boot?

On those occasions when the PC does boot, what's the first thing to you see on the screen that fails to appear when it doesn't boot (if you get my drift)?

gas4you, have you checked the physical connections between motherboard and disk?

No, will do tomorrow when I am more awake :rolleyes:

Does the occurrence appear to be temperature related?

No definately not, totally unpredictable

Now you mention it there has been some strange noises coming from somewhere occasionally :confused:

Does the drive sound as though it's spinning on those occasions when the PC doesn't boot?

No

On those occasions when the PC does boot, what's the first thing to you see on the screen that fails to appear when it doesn't boot (if you get my drift)?

When it does boot the cursor drops a couple of lines, halts for a couple of seconds then drops about 4 lines then the windows logo appears and it all boots ok.

Once booted everything works fine, hence on here now.

I am, the PC, is at present running the seatools diagnostic software.

Short test, SMART test and identifier tests have all passed so far. Currently waiting for the long test to complete.

Thanks Softus ;)

Now you mention it there has been some strange noises coming from somewhere occasionally :confused:
Hm. Could you describe them?

BTW, clicking is bad, and is invariably the death knell.

No
If it's not spinning then it won't boot, as I'm sure you already realise. This could be a drive electronics problem, or motherboard disk controller. Why it didn't arise until you reformatted is a mystery, at the moment.

When it does boot the cursor drops a couple of lines, halts for a couple of seconds then drops about 4 lines then the windows logo appears and it all boots ok.
You might get the BIOS to yield more information. In the settings, you should find that it's configured to suppress POST output (or some similar wording). You can turn off this suppression, and/or make it more verbose. For the effort of making this change it's worth doing in case a clue pops out.

Tony;

Downloaded the seatools program, have now run all tests apart from advanced and it has passed them all.

Softus;

Have changed my bios settings to allow each line to appear as it goes through the sequence, Sods law though it has booted correctly both times since :rolleyes:

Will keep an eye on it and post back if anything shows when it 'stalls'.

Once again thanks for all your help ;)

Sponsored Links
Back