Bootable CD or DVD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just how does one make one of these ?

In the good old floppy days we just used to use format a: /f

Looked on tinternet and you get loads of ways that just seem too complicated for a simple gas man like me to follow !

I have a windows 7 ISO file (whatever that is) that I would like to use to make a bootable windows 7 installation dvd

I have a genuine license for my pc, but the hard disk has failed. Therefore I would like to get win7 on the new disk I have purchased.

If anyone can give me a simple answer i would really appreciate it !

Sponsored Links
If the Win7 ISO file is on your computer, then burn it to disk as an ISO file. To boot from this disk, restart your computer and enter the bios at startup (think you press f8 before windows loads, ( depending upon the computer manufacturer)) Set the boot order to cd/dvd first. Place the dvd into your drive then exit bios (saving the settings) Your computer should then boot from the dvd.

In the good old days, formatting a floppy disk would do just that, format a floppy disk ready to have data recorded to it. It wouldn't create a bootable floppy disk. ;) ;)

If the Win7 ISO file is on your computer, then burn it to disk as an ISO file. To boot from this disk, restart your computer and enter the bios at startup (think you press f8 before windows loads ( depending upon the computer manufacturer)) Set the boot order to cd/dvd first. Place the dvd into your drive then exit bios (saving the settings) Your computer should then boot from the dvd.

In the good old days, formatting a floppy disk would do just that, format a floppy disk ready to have data recorded to it. It wouldn't create a bootable floppy disk. ;) ;)

I know how to set the boot device :oops:

And my mistake. Format /s puts the system files on which DOES make it a bootable floppy.

Sponsored Links
A good program for creating a boot disk is Unetbootin. Just google it. Versions for Win ** Mac OS and Linux Distro's .
I've just used it to create a bootable usb of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. (also can create bootbale CD/DVD's ) ;) ;)

PS Ahh the good old days of floppy disk drives, ehh. Love em or loathe em. They were the best thing at the time for saving stuff onto that you didn't want to lose. ;) ;)

Back