Bosch dish washer getting loud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Bosch Excell SGS45E62GB64 runs through the program fine and the dishes clean well. The problem is that over the past few months it has become more and more noisy. At first we put up with it but now it is literally causing headaches!

The noise, probably in the 5Khz range continues throughout the 120 minute cycle. It stops occasionally when I think I can hear a valve opening and water either being directed elsewhere inside the unit or exhausted through the waste. It only stops for a few seconds, the valve switches again and the noise comes back.

I haven't pulled it out and tried to diagnose what is happening. Listening, which is difficult given that the unit is placed between two base units, suggests that the source of the noise is on the right hand side in the base.

My feeling is that the motor is probably on the way out. If it is that, I don't know if there are any serviceable parts inside or if there is something else which is a likely cause.

If the motor is on the way out I'm questioning if it is worth repairing. I would contemplate fitting a new motor but I have read that they are hard to remove and can result in leaks afterwards. Plus, the cost of the motor and the time for me or to pay somebody makes me wonder if my money is better put toward a new machine.

I wonder if anybody has any thoughts as to what may be wrong and if it makes economic sense to repair it.

thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
One thing's for sure...it isn't going to repair itself no matter how much listening you apply to it. Only way to diagnose the problem properly is to get it out of its hole & take off the side-plates. Most likely it is the wash motor seals, pump impellor, or motor itself making the noise. I don't know what 5khz sounds like....I have been screamed at a few times, does it sound like that???

I had a chat with Bosch today and convinced myself to take out a years worth of service contract. £164 for a year - all parts and labour included.

It may pay for itself, it may not... but at least it should get the machine back into a decent state.

The engineer is coming out next week.

Probably a very good idea. The motor costs £160 & a seal kit £40. It isn't a very nice job to do either because there is no removable base-plate on that model. You've got to limbo your way in there & spirit the thing out while it isn't looking. Your model also has the infamous "instantaneous water heater" which is a horrible thing to get at.

Sponsored Links
Well, the chap came from Bosch today and I explained the problem and what the collective feeling was as to the root cause. He agreed immediately and checked the cost of the repair using his PC. Naturally, the insurance providers fell off their chair and refused to pay. So, the machine will be scrapped as it isn't worth the cost of repair. The insurance policy has been cancelled.

No, in all honesty, it didn't. I am surprised that they agreed to sign me up in the first place.

You kept your side of the bargain...but it was bad form they didn't keep their side of it. Hope you made a juicy complaint to their customer services dept :evil:

There was a clause in the contract when I took it out which said that if the cost of repairs were not economically viable then the company would cancel the contract. It gives room for a huge wriggle but, as the chap said, it was on the cusp of being paid. The assessment of the cost of repair was £284 and I am not surprised that they barfed at that price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back