Bosch Exxcel 7 Washing Machine will not drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Bosch Washing Machine that is fitted in the cellar. The U Bend is at ground level which is actually near the roof of the cellar - this means that the waste pipe is connected to the U-Bend vertically. Its about 4ft from where it comes out of the washing machine to where it fits into the U-Bend in the ceiling.

I've had the washing machine about 6 weeks and all seemed fine but it has started not draining properly. There is also a flashing symbol on the display at the end of each wash. Its the one third down from the top on the left which seems to indicate that there is too much foam in the machine. This doesn't appear to be the case however.

Can anyone advise if they think the fact that the waste (the grey pipe) pipe being vertical and therefore the water having to travel vertically is causing the problem? I'm confused as to why it worked fine for 6 weeks but has now stopped.

I'm going to take the grey pipe off to check if there is a blockage (tissue or something in there) that may be preventing the water from draining but would be surprised if this was the case.

Before I call out an engineer can anyone help?

Thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links
If I understand you correctly then I suppose your drain issue could be caused by suspended water in the vertical line running back into the machine once the pump stops. Strange stuff....gravity :rolleyes:
I don't know why it worked to start with...it does seem odd. If you have to continue using this arrangement then you best option might be to fit a check valve in line or alter your plumbing setup. Standard drain hoses aren't that long, have you extended it? A bit difficult to advise without actually seeing it.

Here is a picture zipper - I too didn't think it would work when I first tried it but its a new house (to us) and we've only been here 6 weeks. The previous owner had his washing machine on a table that raised the height to near to the ceiling but the table was very unstable when it spun so I was advised by the people who brought the machine to put it on the floor.

Sorry image now attached

166467_10150131857281929_537061928_7665395_7089574_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hmmm....
I see why it doesn't seem to work very well...gravity definitely isn't on your side. What happens to the pipe on the other side of the wall? Washer pumps can easily lift a water column a couple of metres, but as soon as the pump stops water will do what water does best...run downhill. Do you have a plumber in the family? The only other alternative I can think of is to fit a check valve.

The waste water pipe just flows out into the outside drain I think - the wall you can see at the back is an outside wall.

No plumber in the family but I do know a couple.

I think I might try and build a sturdy table of some sort and screw it down to the table so that the waste pipe is at least level with the top of the washing machine. Should prevent too much water coming back in.

If that fails then I'll look into the check valve option.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back