Bosch SD13J1B Dishwasher Not Draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Model: SD13J1B
Serial: SRV4 3A23GB/16

I am experiencing a couple problems with my dishwasher.

Firstly it isn't draining the water. When I first noticed this I took out the filter thinking this would clear the water but it didn't. We then tried a little caustic soda and left it overnight - this didn't shift it either.

So I unscrewed everything out of the bottom of the dishwasher removing everything that was screwed in leaving only irremovable parts. I then syphoned off all the water and had a look at the bottom of the dishwasher - I found a little bit of debris, some seeds etc. I thought this could have been causing the problems. So I reassembled and ran the dishwasher.

Not only did this not solve the problem but it brought another one, the dishwasher wasn't filling with water now. To make the dishwasher run I had to pour in my own water which started it going - but it still didn't drain.

Following this now twofold problem I looked at the pipes leading to the dishwasher which are under the sink. I noticed that there was a really bad smell coming from the drainage pipe which attaches at the back of the dishwasher and under the sink. So I tried blowing hard on the pipe so see if it moved the blockage it didn't.

The dishwasher is a built in model, so I unscrewed it and brought it out so I could get to the back. When I got behind it I saw that the drainage pipe runs deep into the back of the machine and was impossible to get out. So I moved the dishwasher back in it's place.

I ran it on a cycle after this and it is now pumping water again but still not draining. What should I do? Would you advise me to get an unblocking chemical to put down it?

Sponsored Links
don't put any more chemicals in it.
your drain pump is blocked. bail it out, take out the filters and see if there is a cover over the pump in the sump. if there is, take the cover off and remove the bit glass or chicken bone. If theres no cover, it's a strip down job to get the pump underneath the dishwasher out.

Following your advice I have stripped the machine right down as far as I can possibly go. The unit that is uncovered is built in and can't be removed for cleaning. I don't know how on earth I am going to get to the blockage!?

I have uploaded a picture of the irremovable part if that helps diagnose the issue.

Follow the link to view it:
//www.diynot.com/network/ICS2J2K/albums/636/2135

You don't have a pump cover in there I'm afraid. It's a strip down job to get to the pump underneath the machine.

Sponsored Links
you may be lucky with this model.

Turn off the supply

remove the plate at the base of the machine under the door

some of the Bosche have the drain pump located on the left hand side which if you have nimble fingers you can reach over the top of the base, some make it easier by having a section of the base cut out where the pump is to enable access.

The drain pumps on these are mainly twist fit types with a lock tag.

Thanks for advice guys.

Leccy: Shall I try and get in from under the machine then is that what you mean?

Sleepyhead: When you say 'strip it down' I don't know what else I can remove to get to the source, i've taken out everything I can...

At the bottom of the door there should be a recessed section behind the base of the door.

there is normally a metal plate that usually has a screw either side you remove them and can get to see the plastic base. on al ot of built in machines the drain pump is at the front and you can sometimes reach it without removing the appliance (as long as you dont mind lying down)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back