Bosch WFF2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone advise if this is something I can replace in the washing machine?

When the program comes to point where the drum wants to rotate the whole washing machine jolts / torques to the left and the drum turns 180 degrees and there's an electrical smell, (motor burning out?).

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a scrapyard candidate...(& the burning smell sounds ominous). If you want to spend time on it you could check for loose counterweights, shot bearings, damaged shock absorbers, busted drum spider...so forth & so on. If it turns out to be anything more than a loose counterweight or a pair of new shockers then an economical repair is highly unlikely :cry:

Thanks for info Zipper.

Also and Prewash and On/off lights flash, I can't find anything in the manual as to what this means.

Shouldn't complain too much, I bought the washer in December 1997 so had a good life.

A flashing pre-wash led indicates an error code, is there a pattern?
Is the full model number WFF2000GB/12?

Sponsored Links
A flashing pre-wash led indicates an error code, is there a pattern?
Is the full model number WFF2000GB/12?

Yes that is the full model number.

Taken back off now and noted belt in place (looks in excellent condition btw). I started it up (stood back) and what happens now is motor spins the drum to high speed in a split second, cuts out and drum comes to halt - then nothing. Only the "on" light showing now. Still getting the electrical burnt smell :(

I cannot remember the light sequence from yesterday when this started but it was similar to "on" light and "pre-wash" light flashing simultaneously.

If the motor immediately ramps up to full speed when you start a program then there is either an open circuit in the motor tacho or associated wiring. Alternatively there could be a fault in the speed regulation circuit on the pcb. It isn't strange to get arcing from the motor brushes when this happens, that may explain the burnt aroma. A motor fault is normally accompanied by a repeating pattern of 4 flashes on the pre-wash led. Did you check for bearing slack etc. as mentioned earlier?

If the motor immediately ramps up to full speed when you start a program then there is either an open circuit in the motor tacho or associated wiring. Alternatively there could be a fault in the speed regulation circuit on the pcb. It isn't strange to get arcing from the motor brushes when this happens, that may explain the burnt aroma. A motor fault is normally accompanied by a repeating pattern of 4 flashes on the pre-wash led. Did you check for bearing slack etc. as mentioned earlier?

The drum turns with the usual resistance, so could the bearing be OK?

The light pattern you mention sounds about right, so being a motor fault would possible mean replacing the motor

Thanks for hints

As I already mentioned...lift the drum by hand to check for slack, then spin it & listen for a rumbling/grinding sound. If you find either scrap the machine. The tacho assembly on this motor isn't sold as a separate part, you have to buy the whole thing http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washi...085/856/0/0/481832/washing-machine-motor.html Not cheap unless you can pick one up on ebay or get a second hand one & switch the tacho assembly. A run-away motor usually points to a tacho fault but it could also be broken wiring or a pcb issue. A good start would be to check the resistance of the tacho coil...

As I already mentioned...lift the drum by hand to check for slack, then spin it & listen for a rumbling/grinding sound. If you find either scrap the machine. The tacho assembly on this motor isn't sold as a separate part, you have to buy the whole thing http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washi...085/856/0/0/481832/washing-machine-motor.html Not cheap unless you can pick one up on ebay or get a second hand one & switch the tacho assembly. A run-away motor usually points to a tacho fault but it could also be broken wiring or a pcb issue. A good start would be to check the resistance of the tacho coil...

Thanks for your help. The drums seems fine without any rumbling.

I got to say the new motor is (unsurprisingly) pricy so have decided to replace washing machine.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back