Boss removal & seal on a soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all & Happy New Year.

I'm in the process of updating a front room where the previous owner used to have a sink feeding in to the soil pipe. The soil pipe runs in an internal cavity for the full height of the house.

I would like to get the boss off and seal the soil pipe, as I would like to get the boarding flush with the plaster. At the moment it sticks out too far in to the room. I've put a pic on to illustrate.

I'm hoping this is possible to remove and seal the pipe...

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
it can be removed and sealed.
it may be just as easy to cut the stack and cut that peice out and use a slip coupler.

Is the soil pipe plastic? It's easier if it is but even if it's not you could cut out the section of soil with the boss connector in and let in a new section using a couple of rubber couplings.

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/132.asp

About half way down the page.

Mike

Is the soil pipe plastic? It's easier if it is but even if it's not you could cut out the section of soil with the boss connector in and let in a new section using a couple of rubber couplings.

Yes, it is plastic.
Sounding quite positive to cut out the section.
Unfortunately the internal space is not very big, so prob would be difficult to get a decent size hacksaw in there. Any recommendations on best tool(s) for the job, in cutting soil pipes in limited space?

Sponsored Links
Have you seen those wire saws that you can get from outdoor shops? That would do the trick.

Mike

remove boss.clean pipe. cut a piece of soil pipe to cover hole. heat up piece and solvent weld it over hole. strap piece with tie wires.

remove boss.clean pipe.

Not that expert with matters plumbing... :oops:
the grey paste that can be seen in the picture over the boss, is it likely to be some type of removable sealant or a type of solvent cement? (I was thinking cement was clear from what I have seen before)
From some posts I've read, I thought getting solvent cemented joints apart is difficult as the plastics have been fused...
However, I guess if I tried to get the boss off and failed (and it then damaged this part of the soil pipe), I could then proceed with plan B and get the saw Mike suggests. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back