Bottom bricks crumbling or spalling

wtr

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hello all,

I recently read https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/crumbling-bricks.28476/ and maybe this describes what i got. Could someone please look over the attached pictures.

Basically the barn seemed to have a plinth on the gable end, but on the joining wall, there appears to be just a painted membrane.
(See picture where i point to the plinth)

The bricks are starting to spall (word i learnt from link above). (See pictures with the weed in them)

Lastly the doorway has come up when i pulled a root away (See picture with door)

BTW barn is from 1930 so it's almost 100 years old.

When I embarked on this journey i just wanted to paint a damp proof membrane. Now i'm concern about patching the barn so it can stand another 100 years.
1. What do i need to do with the regarding the plinth on the gable end? Paint it? Remove it and paint behind? Adhere it to the wall?
2. What do i need to do with the adjacent wall, which has the spalling bricks? Plaster it/put mortar onto it? I guess glue it together? Replace it? Note the bricks are still hard.
3. What do i need to do to make the doorway less of a trip hazard? Poor concrete/Place stones ontop of it?

Please give me your thoughts.

Warm Regards,
Wes

Attachments

• doorway.jpg
    doorway.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 31
  • plinth.jpg
    plinth.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Wall.jpg
    Wall.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Wall_close.jpg
    Wall_close.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Need to get soil away from property with gravel in trench so bricks and breath.
There are some YouTube videos on subject but it's worth paying for professional advice

The roof eaves are quite big, it kicks the water out at least 40cm to 50cm from the wall. My plan was to just paint the black bit. I see that if one has problems with water pooling you can put gravel all the way accross with a incline and then some pipes to take it further away from the property.

I dont' particularly suffer from pooling, but i do have a high water table level, so i wonder what benefit i get from gravel trench anyway.

BTW if gravel by the foundation is best, is sand second best and soil/earth the worst?

Sponsored Links
The bottom of the wall is clearly wet. This will encourage frost spalling, and also erode mortar if it is lime.

Apart from the nearby drains, what sources of water are close?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back