Bought house with chimney removed, no building cert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unusual situation, would appreciate advise please.

When we moved our survey highlighted that a chimney had been removed from the kitchen.

It was along the back wall of the main building - the kitchen & upstairs then continue 'outrigger', ie L-shaped house with a rear gable end. Upstairs there is indeed a boxed off stack.

Along from this point is the bath which just leaked. So badly that the kitchen ceiling collapsed, revealing 2 wooden beams, partially damp, one of which aligns with the rear house main wall so I assume in place of a supporting wall.

So an unexpected opportunity for deeper assurance / inspection than the non-intrusive survey !!

How can I best go about this --- if I post a photo of above ceiling, what should we see? Or should I just pay a surveyor - if so, private or Council Building control ??

FYIs: The house was built ~1930. Next door have the same layout. We've lived here 6 weeks and assume the leak was from change in shower usage. We'very fixed the leak which was the bath seal. We live in Manchester. There is a vertical pillar on the kitchen wall where the chimney was, I guess a wooden support.

Thanks in advance! Mike.

Sponsored Links
The question is what could I achieve with a surveyor ?? Either independent the or Council (is retrospective building control -- reading other posts has put me off the idea).

I've since found 2 steel beams (in the photo behind the wooden one) so feel comfortable generally now. I like things to be right, so initial intuition was to survey for approval, but now I feel that would be more hassle than value. Agree ???

The photo with a brick is between the 2 steels towards under the chimney.

Attachments

• 20151024_122211.jpg
    20151024_122211.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 20151024_121848.jpg
    20151024_121848.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 353
Sponsored Links
Someone's clearly taken the trouble of putting steel in, so why bother taking this any further 'officially'?
Just check at the ends of the beams to see if they are properly supported.

If you know what you are looking at and have the experience to judge if its good or bad, then you don't need anyone else to look at it. If not, then you might. If you want it approved for the next sale time, then you will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back