boundaries & fences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our neighbours have built a single story extension to the back of their house...the extension runs alongside the boundary line with a half a brick gap between our garden and the extension..

during the build process they removed the fence that separated our gardens

our neighbours have announced today they plan to place 3x 6 foot panels starting from the edge of the new extension to afix to the existing remaining fence..the problem with this is that they are not replacing the entire fence panels that they removed.
they plan to start the fence from the edge of their new extension, this meaning that the boundary is no longer correct, yes we gain but we also gain the sight of a 20 foot brick wall, the remaining rotting fence post, and a wonky edge to our patio area...

we suggested they replace the fence as it originally was, to which they stated it was not workable as they would need to be in our garden to maintain it. (they also want access to our garden to bring the fence panels into the garden as the stupid fool has built right up to his boundary on the other side too)

your thoughts and assistance muchos appreciated....

Sponsored Links
whose fence is it!!
what agreement was reached for the finnished fence befort he started

if its your fence he has to replace to previouse condition

if it is his boundery fence then he is probably maintaining the boundery as reasonably well as can be expected

these are only my thoughts as i dont know the actual answer

let of possible legal wrangles there so get the best solution you can to suit you or it can get messy. When we do fences we expect (and its part of our conditions) to be able to go onto the neighbouring property to do teh job properly. It also makes the neighbours talk to each other before hand to agree things.

Bottom line if its your fence then stick to your guns

sadly its their fence,,i guess i will have to go be pleasant to them and explain i dont want to look at their unfinished brickwall...i am even prepared to pay for the fence panels on our side if it stops them attaching the fence to their extension rather than the correct placing..

Sponsored Links
nothing to stop you doing what you want on your side of the boundary to screen it. you could use some trellis, or screening, or plain fencing

you will find under the building regulations that a gap of 300mm from your property boundary should be in force, building plans should state 300 mm's from the boundary line between property's, this is to allow any structual defect that could be forced upon your property, i also think you should go to your planning department to see the plans as you are entitled to, and suggest this.
we are having a brick built extension ourselves, and this is stated on our plans in surrey, but could be different at your planning office, worth checking it out.

Ask them to foot the bill for painting the wall a colour which appeals to you and then fixing some screen or trellis to it. No point in putting a fence up against a brick wall, that's just daft.

Your neighbour is correct in everything that they have done. It was their fence, they have taken it down and is now replaced with brick wall standing on their property.
They are under no obligation to replace the fence. Also you are not allowed to fix any thing to their wall, how ever there is no reason for you not to put a new fence on the boundary line if you do not like the look of their brick wall.
With regard to the posting stating that Building Regs require a building to be 300mm away from a boundary is not correct, You can build tight up to boundary providing no part of new building is overhanging boundary.
Out of curiosity how did he get materials round to back for extension.
Suggest he can take panels through your garden if he replaces panels he took down. Offer to maintain them. If he says no, then very politely tell him to p**s of.
0ld un. :D

With regard to the posting stating that Building Regs require a building to be 300mm away from a boundary is not correct, You can build tight up to boundary providing no part of new building is overhanging boundary.
Out of curiosity how did he get materials round to back for extension.
Suggest he can take panels through your garden if he replaces panels he took down. Offer to maintain them. If he says no, then very politely tell him to p**s of.
0ld un. :D
No this is not so, you can not build within 2ft of someones boundary, a fence may be ok but not any building, this is common sense and gives access to the building for inspection/maintence etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back