Box Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I am currently going through a full refurbishment of a 100+yr old, 9" thick solid walled, farmhouse.
I am currently doing all the work myself to keep our budget under control & I would like to install a set of 3 Pane Bi-fold doors. There is set of patio doors already installed & I will be increasing the size of the hole to accommodate the bi-folds, this will obviously require the installation of the new lintel & here-in lies my question;
My plan is a little unorthodox so please bear with me.

I am thinking of installing a standard box lintel on the inner 'half' of the wall now (so I can carry on with other works) then install a second box lintel on the outer 'half' of the wall later on.
I understand this is probably not the conventional way of doing it & would be more expensive (although i am eyeing used/surplus litels) is there any reason why is would not work? Obviously i'm concerned about transfering the loads to the outside edge of the wall while the lintels being installed & the span I will be installing (2100 - 21500mm bi-folds)

As I say the walls are 9" solids with a row of header bricks every 4th row.
There is a single row of bricks above the planned lintel placement, then the joist wall plate & 11 rows before the bottom of the bedroom window above.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi,

No sorry, i'm fairly happy strongboys would support the walls while i work - the double box lintels are above the bi-folds permanently.
I know our local building control is not a fan of T lintel which is why I ruled them out.

Hi,

No sorry, i'm fairly happy strongboys would support the walls while i work - the double box lintels are above the bi-folds permanently.
I know our local building control is not a fan of T lintel which is why I ruled them out.

Why not use an ordinary catnic lintel?? Surely a box lintel is not intended for exterior use?
Your Building Control body cannot unilaterally declare that they don't like such-and-such lintels. As long as the lintel satisfies structural requirements, the council has to accept it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back