Boxed in cables at base of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to run some cables at the base of the kitchen wall. That is a 2.5mmsq ring, 6mmsq for oven and main Earth bonding. I was going to remove skirting, clip the cables to the brick wall and then box them in (box 6 inch high x 2 - 3 inch deep). I was then going to tile over the front and top side of the box (using same tiles as floor. Is this acceptable or not? Surely nobody will drill through the tiles into the cable. But will BCO be happy?

I did think of adding some sockets on the front of the box section in order to define the safe zone but then got worried about the new height requirements for sockets.

All comments and help appreciated. Steve.

Sponsored Links
the "safe zone" is 150mm from the tops of a wall, or the corners..
not sure if it's from the floor though..

people are more stupid than you think and are likely to put skirting back on, at which point they may either drill or nail it on, making your cables a prime target..

A safe zone is also horizontal or vertical from a accessory or socket. I planned to put some sockets on the front in order to define the boxed in area as a safe zone.

If the cable is run at a depth of greater than 50 mm it is ok otherwise it needs protecting against mechanical damage. You could put a box in with a blanking plate to gain access to the cable along this "trunking" to make it more obvious the cable is there.

Sponsored Links
steve1811uk said:
then box them in (box 6 inch high x 2 - 3 inch deep).

steve then said:
I planned to put some sockets on the front in order to define the boxed in area as a safe zone.

So that they're less than 3" off the floor?

Yes, bottom of socket would be about 3 inch above the floor.

My problems are two fold,

1st the existing skirting will look rubbish against the new tiled floor so I want to get rid of that.

2nd I need to get the cables across that wall. I could go up the wall across, then down burried in plaster. I want to avoid that if possible as it will be messy and time consuming.

If I boxed the cables in and covered with tiles that would kill two birds with one stone. Just don't know if it is acceptable or not. Cables will be at least 50mm from the surface (but that surface is not a wall). I could put a sheet of metal in front of the cables if that would help and then run an earth cable to the CU, to earth the metal protection sheet. What do you think? Steve.

PS In our office we have plastic trunking and the sockets are less than one inch off the floor.

that should classify it as an "earthed metallic sheath" and would then be ok i should think...

might want to "tank" about 6 inches up the wall in case of major spills / washing machine floods etc.. but that's not electrics..

Regs are not specific about accessory heights, suffice to say that they should be position so as to avoid damage.

There are also regs that govern equipment being selected to suit its environment.

I think that I will put a couple of double sockets on there then (one at each end to try and define the boxed in part as cable trunking). You can actually buy PVC skirting trunking that does the same job but that looks a bit naff, too officey. I can then make changes as advised by the BCO.

If he/she doesn't like the sockets I can take them off and then stick a big lump of steel inside the 'boxing in' in front of the cables to protect them from damage. Looking at BS7671 I don't think the protection needs to be earthed if it is not penetrable by nails, screws etc. Steve

electric regs are non specific, but building regs are...

from what i remember, sockets min 450 from floor 900-1200 light switches..

building regs Part M: access to and use of buildings ( see page 70 )

It was specifically for dwellings or buildings where disabled people are likely to live or use.
now I'm not so sure since they changed the name from "Approved document M - Access and facilities for disabled people"

I'm a commercial / industrial sparky though so a lot of my jobs have been things like hospitals, schools shops etc..

They only apply in the case of a refit or refurb, not a rewire or such-like.

what's a rewire then if it's not a refit or refurb??

and we're not talking about a re-wire, we're talking about a refurb since he's running new wires and talking about installing new sockets.. which should all be at the proper heights..

I agree that if you are simply replacing cables to existing sockets then obviously you can't be expected to chase out the walls and sink new boxes at the new heights.. but all new stuff should go in at the proper heights..

you never know he might be in a car crash tomorrow and be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, then he'd be glad of the raised sockets...

on a side note.. if the sockets are raised to make it easier for people in a wheelchair to plug things in then how do they pick the plug up off the floor in the first place?

ColJack said:
what's a rewire then if it's not a refit or refurb??

and we're not talking about a re-wire,

Make your mind up!!

Thanks for the comments. If I decide to go for mechanical protection can you guys recommend something to put in front of the cables that will be hard to drill, but low cost. The cables will also be protected by some thick porcelain tiles glued onto plywood. As far as I know the mechanical protection does not have to be earthed if it is 'unpenetrable'. Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back