Boxing in gas and water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These rooms will be getting skimmed at some point but I am doing some general work before this happens. What is the best way to box in these pipes? The two pipes on the first picture are central heating water pipes. The plaster behind is is blown so I was thinking of framing it out and putting plasterboard on it to save the mess of removing the broken plaster. Will it be OK to board over these water pipes then skim over it, or shall I board over it with wooden and screw it down for access? There is no joins in these pipes so leaks shouldn't be an issue.

My second question is the this gas pipe, it is the old pipe to the boiler but we have since had a new pipe fitted, having looked at the gas meter this pipe is still live, access would be very difficult to cap it off which is why they probably left it.

I know I can't simply plasterboard over this, before it had hardboard over it. I know you can box it in if you vent it but not sure what form of venting would be sufficient. I am thinking boarding in with plywood and leaving the screwheads exposed might be the best way to go the venting requirements still leaves me unsure. It is vented in the cupboard so would leaving a gap at the top before it joins the floor above be enough? The gas pipe is in the corner right above the gas meter.

Attachments

• water pipes.jpg
    water pipes.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 410
  • gas pipe.jpg
    gas pipe.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 255
Sponsored Links
Do what you like with the heating pipes, worth stuffing the boxing with rockwool before you clad it (skim ply or pb and plaster, up to you).
Gas pipe is another matter - if its never going to be used again then get it disconnected at the meter and get rid of it. If it might get used again then box it (ply/mdf or pb, matters not) but fit a vent into the room through thte boxing (couple of those round soffit vents would do)- point is if it does start leaking you don't want a silent undetectable buildup in a void (creating a very effective fuel air explosive mixture)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back