boxing in pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to box in some pipes that are in the angle of an existing pilaster.

I want to follow the line of the existing pilaster as in the picture, but I think the biggest challenge will be getting a smooth finish in the area circled in red. What would be the best technique for getting a "seamless" finish at this difficult spot? Will the choice of plaster board vs plywood for the box make a difference to the finish I can achieve?

View media item 21557

Sponsored Links
I had to reead this 3 times, I just didnt know what a 'pilaster' was.
Now, I think I know what you ment, did you mean PLASTER.
;)

No he means pilaster which is basically the column http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilaster. ;)

I'm a plasterer & how I would do it is; construct the timber supports & battens for the new return & front face of the new plasterboard so the front ends up flush with the original; apply a couple of layers of reinforcing tape down the seam; fix a thin coat corner bead over the new corner & skim with finishing plaster. You have a choice or either wasting into the original plaster finish near the other corner & filling any blemishes or fixing a stop bead at the other side so the whole face is re plastered & then fill between the back of stop bead the other return. The new return face of the plasterboard would also be skimmed.

The texture of or MDF won't look very good, you will never hide the join & unless it's taped it will crack. The only other alternative is don't try to hide the join at all & stick some sort of beading over it

Sponsored Links
Yes you could also do that but you will have to fit a corner bead to the other side & re-skim that return face as well; just a bit more skimming.

Yes you could also do that but you will have to fit a corner bead to the other side & re-skim that return face as well; just a bit more skimming.

I accept that this will give the best finish, but if the job involves skimming anything then it ceases to be a DIY job for me.

But whatever method you use, you will still have to skim it! or are you just to leave it as bare plasterboard? Have you considered how your going to finish the exposed plasterboard edges?

But whatever method you use, you will still have to skim it! or are you just to leave it as bare plasterboard? Have you considered how your going to finish the exposed plasterboard edges?

I've been wondering about that. I was thinking of using a heavy lining paper over the lot.

Entirely your choice of course but it's not really the way to do it. The corners of the plasterboard will be brittle without the protection of an external steel plaster bead & will be very susceptible to damage if knocked. I doubt you'll get lining paper to look much good (if it ever looks that good!) stretching it around the 2 external corners of the pilaster &, personally I think it will look pretty naff. IMO lining paper is pretty awful stuff anyway & once you stick it over the plasterboard, it'll wont accept a plaster skim so you (or someone) have to start all over again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back