Boxing in shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had a pump installed to help aid the pressure through to new thermo shower.

I asked that the plumber install the pump in my bedroom airing cupboard instead of loft to save waking up our 5yr old, which he did, but my question is - can i somehow build up a ply box around it to drown out the noise a bit more? whats the best way to do it? not just to have peace and quiet but to also protet the pipework and pump from all the 'rubbish' ive stored on the airing cupboard.

thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
You can box it in & also put fibre glass insulation round it to muffle it.
As far as the box goes, use ply dosnt need to be fancy

Make sure its a big box as you need air to circulate round the pump for motor cooling purposes or end up with premature failure. The bairn will get used to the noise very quickly, like having a road or railway nearby you don't here it after a while.

I suggest you consult the manufacturer for their approval before you fit an insulating blanket around the pump.

I am amused that a correspondent here has given you his full approval without knowing even the make and model. Welcome to the forum, always remember that is what it is, a forum - no one is vetted.

Chances are you will overheat the motor. You may have wondered why shower pump manufacturers do not supply an insulated casing :idea:

It is far better to try and create a cushioned mounting (eg: layers of ply and floor underlay) to reduce vibration transmission.

Sponsored Links
I dont think you can, as said by someone else check the instructions or manufacturer.

One I fitted recently said and I quote "pump should be placed where there is adequate airflow to cool the motor. it should be placed in a clear space with an additional 100mm each side.

It was a tounge in cheek ref to the BIG box thats why I said you need air to circulate.

Was not referring to your post, above yours, something about muffling with fibreglass and boxing in :eek:

I suppose replacing a damaged pump every couple of months is worth it if you get a good nights sleep :LOL: :LOL:

I suggest you consult the manufacturer for their approval before you fit an insulating blanket around the pump.

I am amused that a correspondent here has given you his full approval without knowing even the make and model. Welcome to the forum, always remember that is what it is, a forum - no one is vetted.

Chances are you will overheat the motor. You may have wondered why shower pump manufacturers do not supply an insulated casing :idea:

It is far better to try and create a cushioned mounting (eg: layers of ply and floor underlay) to reduce vibration transmission.

My reason for saying this is because I did it without any problems. The pump runs hot (very hot ) so adding another 2/3 degrees will/should not make a difference, the difference in sound reduction is well worth the risk. As I said it is what I did & he was asking for suggestions, & my post is in good faith.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back