Brake Fluid - Boiling Point Critical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my car serviced the other day 75,000 main dealer. Was told that the break fluid boiling point was critical, in otherwords the fluid needed changing.

They wanted £50 to do it.

Can't say I've noticed any fall off in break performance and I presume that unless I was breaking heavily and constantly this is unlikely to be a major problem.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello philwis The garage is correct, brake fluid generally needs changing every 2 years. The problem with brake fluid is it's hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) and this lowers the boiling point. It is a big problem in mountainous regions and vehicle manufactuers do a lot of testing in the alps and brake fluid temperature is as important as brake performance. The main dealers are only doing what the manufactures tell them. The price seems high, I would go to your local indipendent garage and he should do it cheaper.

johnwr said:
Hello philwis The garage is correct, brake fluid generally needs changing every 2 years. The problem with brake fluid is it's hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) and this lowers the boiling point. It is a big problem in mountainous regions and vehicle manufactuers do a lot of testing in the alps and brake fluid temperature is as important as brake performance. The main dealers are only doing what the manufactures tell them. The price seems high, I would go to your local indipendent garage and he should do it cheaper.

Thanks Johnwr,
I presume from what your say therefore that as long as I'm not driving the Monte Carlo rally or any other heavy continuous braking that as long as I get it sorted reasonably soon I'm unlikely to be in any immediate danger?

Thanks

Hello philwis, I am sorry but I can't tell that your brakes will be OK, it is up too you to get it done asap. I only mentioned car manufactuers testing in the alps to show how important brake fluid is. I the past I have tested brakes in Austria for my employers and Ford and you don't have to be driving like Sebastien Leob to boil your fluid.
hope this helps. regards johnwr

Sponsored Links
johnwr said:
Hello philwis, I am sorry but I can't tell that your brakes will be OK, it is up too you to get it done asap. I only mentioned car manufactuers testing in the alps to show how important brake fluid is. I the past I have tested brakes in Austria for my employers and Ford and you don't have to be driving like Sebastien Leob to boil your fluid.
hope this helps. regards johnwr

Thanks johnwr - will do.

You don't say what car you have or how old the fluid is. Do you live in the Alps? Personally I'd get a lot more than 2 years out of a batch of fluid unless I'd changed a component or had a leak. Have your brakes started playing up? 50 quid to change a fivers tops worth of fluid and 5 minutes of 2 mechanics time(one of whom will be a min. wage apprentice). You'd have to be mad. DIY or sleeping dogs....

What a bunch you lot are :!: we are talking safety here, not a torn seat squab or a scuffed wheel trim if it needs doing shell out, don't listen to these numptys

stevemastic said:
What a bunch you lot are :!: we are talking safety here, not a torn seat squab or a scuffed wheel trim if it needs doing shell out, don't listen to these numptys
:rolleyes: Hello Steve

I see that my advise has caused a few ripples, what I said is correct and if people would only read all of the postings then they would see that I didn't tell philwis "yes it will be OK ignore what the main dealer has said". The main dealers are frightened to death that if they don't do things by the book then if the worse happens they will be taken to court.
You don't need to be in the alps for fluid boiling to be a problem, we have some of the steepest hills in europe in the UK. It only needs a sticking caliper piston or a semi seized wheel cylinder to start excessive heat to build up. I could have said don't worry it won't be a problem, I would rather encourage someone to do a proper job than to find out later that some poor sole has had a serious accident or even worse. Yes the main dealers rip you off that why I said find a friendly local garage.

The main dealers are frightened to death that if they don't do things by the book then if the worse happens they will be taken to court.

I've worked for a few main dealers in the past and believe me, the only thing that frightened them was not having fleeced every last penny out of the victim, err sorry customer. And let's face it, preying on peoples safety fears, and their ignorance of how things work is money for old rope. Brake fluid may be hygroscopic, but you'd need a hole in your reservoir for this to be an issue within two years. Otherwise your main dealer may have topped it up himself a touch. (with water that is!)

if it needs doing shell out, don't listen to these numptys

Aaah, the smell of showroom hands freshly rubbed together....

:rolleyes:

"Aaah, the smell of showroom hands freshly rubbed together...."

how did you guess :LOL:

once again we have people replying about a subject that they have scant knowledge about. I suggest than stevemastic reads all of the posting before replying. I think you will find that all brake master cylinder have a small hole in the cap. It needs this to compensate for brake pads wear. I have said go to a local mechanic and not a main dealer, stevemastic is correct in saying they massively over charge.
regards johnwr

I think steve knows more than that DWR geeza with his lump hammer and cold chisel though John! :D

Sponsored Links
Back