(Brand new) 35mm waste to 40mm - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

I have here a brand new chrome effect waste from Wickes with a bore of 35mm.

This surprises me somewhat as I would have expected to be able to easily connect a brand new waste to a 40mm soil pipe, but there we are.

Is there such a thing as a reducer that will couple my 35mm waste to a 40mm soil pipe? Is this a common problem?

Yours confusedly, etc...

Sponsored Links
Should fit into a compression fitting OK to transition to plastic and then weld/pushfit as you like.

Ah yes. The waste definitely fits into a 40mm compression fitting, but the S trap I've got has a captive nut at one end that's supposed (I think) to screw straight on to the waste.

Does that ring any bells?

--EDIT-- would a 32mm s trap with a compression fitting on one end connect to a 40mm soil pipe?

This one, for example, is a 32mm trap that says it will fit 40mm. Being B&Q I'm not totally sure I trust it. Thoughts welcome...

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing...m-PP-S-Trap-76mm-Seal-11478454?skuId=11989161

Probably help if you could stop trying to impress with your plumbing knowledge which is obviously zero and post what it is you are fitting instead of talking broken biscuits, a soil pipe is normally 4 inches, a waste pipe can be 32mm or 40mm or 1 inch and a quarter or 1 inch and a half.Unless you have discovered/invented a new soil pipe.

Sponsored Links
Ah yes. The waste definitely fits into a 40mm compression fitting, but the S trap I've got has a captive nut at one end that's supposed (I think) to screw straight on to the waste.

Does that ring any bells?

--EDIT-- would a 32mm s trap with a compression fitting on one end connect to a 40mm soil pipe?

This one, for example, is a 32mm trap that says it will fit 40mm. Being B&Q I'm not totally sure I trust it. Thoughts welcome...

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing...rap-76mm-Seal-11478454?skuId=11989161[/QUOTE]

No it won't work without an adapter to go to 40mm

You can use:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-compression-waste-reducer-40-x-32mm/69077 To go from 32 to 40 but the trap will need a short bit of 32mm pipe to the reducer

I think you may have bought the wrong chrome effect waste - what are you going to fit it to?

A kitchen sink or bath need at least 1 1/2" (40)
A wash hand basin 1 1/4 (32)

Probably help if you could stop trying to impress with your plumbing knowledge which is obviously zero and post what it is you are fitting instead of talking broken biscuits, a soil pipe is normally 4 inches, a waste pipe can be 32mm or 40mm or 1 inch and a quarter or 1 inch and a half.Unless you have discovered/invented a new soil pipe.

:LOL:

Post a pic of what you have bought and where you intend to fit it.

No it won't work without an adapter to go to 40mm.

A kitchen sink or bath need at least 1 1/2" (40)
A wash hand basin 1 1/4 (32)

Thanks chum, this will be the solution. Luckily the old installation has some 1 1/4 pipe that it will be able to donate, saving me a third trip to Wickes in two days... Part of the problem is trying to work in mm when plumbing would rather do inches. Good lesson.

Ta :)

Luckily the old installation has some 1 1/4 pipe that it will be able to donate, saving me a third trip to Wickes in two days... Part of the problem is trying to work in mm when plumbing would rather do inches. Good lesson.

Make sure the reducer you use is a compression one like I linked to (with the nuts) 32mm wastes can be either ring seal or solvent weld but they are actually different systems with different diameters! Same goes for the 40mm. If your pipe is really old it could be yet another size! The compression type fittings are the only ones that will generally work with them all.

Compression all round!

This whole pipe diameter business is a complicated little monster, isn't it...

This whole pipe diameter business is a complicated little monster, isn't it...
24.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back