Brand new rad, new pipe work, 1st from boiler, doesn't work!

Where abouts in the house was this flexible hose, in a cupboard near the bathroom by any chance.. Abit of a long shot but could that not actually be a filling loop as I find it strange anyone would remove a rad and fit a flexible hose in its place?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if the image is there but it is in my album with rad in title. Cheers

Ah yes, as I imagined I think. Don't go bothering swapping out the speedfit T's I can't see there is likely any problem there. A bit of systematic investigation is required. And don't assume things - that way lies wasted time and money. And you've already found something a bit odd - which looks like a bit of a DIY bodge to me, there ecould be more oddities.

First thing - at the moment there seems to be no flow in this loop. The heat you can feel on the pipe seems to me to just be conduction along that bit of pipe - that is why it stops at the speedfit T as it doesn't conduct much.

Open the valves on the flexi pipe as well as the rad, close down the rest of the rads and see if there is any circulation at all. If there is then it might just need balancing.

If not, then further investigation - it could be plumbed wrong in some way, there might be some sort of blockage in a pipe etc. - really I would say you need check the plumbing and see how it is all connected up. At the moment I'm not convinced these pipe actually are connected to the heating system necessarily :confused:

If I was to be able to see how it had been connected then I would want a diagram showing the boiler, pump and motor valves as well as the rads.

I already have an idea of what might be wrong.

But your plumbing friend is coming tomorrow so hopefully he will see what he has done wrong.

Tony

Right ok, should the plumber have picked up on all this before it got to this stage really? I will try closing the rads and balancing the rads if of course they don't do it when I'm at work tomorrow. If this sheds anymore light on the subject they said when they opened up the shut off valves they had really hot water coming through but I have not found this to be the case. So I think I've made assumptions based on my plumbers assumptions so I think they need to go back to the start.

Thank you for your help so far.

Sponsored Links
Danplumb, I think the towel heater my have been what was being fed originally by these two pipes and they put this on the HW instead of CH so may be they did that to keep the CW loop?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back