Bread Pudding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When adding a couple of new rads to my central heating system I encountered steady drips of water from the existing pipes where I had cut them to connect up.

I took advice from a friend that you can stop this by blocking the pipe with bread which holds back the water whilst you solder but the dissolves shortly after.

Now only half of my rads get hot, presumably because the flow pipe is blocked with bread.

What can I do?

Sponsored Links
ok i know your problem.did you use self raiseing flour in bread mix,if so the flower will raise to the hightest point of your system and disolve.
any other flour will stop at a bend and multiply.

Sponsored Links
I would love to meet your mate Graham. :LOL:
Bet hes a right bloody laf

Youve been had son :LOL: :LOL:

I took advice from a friend that you can stop this by blocking the pipe with bread which holds back the water whilst you solder but the dissolves shortly after.
Crumbs! What a dilemma!
I used to earn my crust using this trick years ago when wiping joints on lead pipes. It has limited uses now.
Which direction does your pipe run? North ? South? West? For some reason it doesn't work when it points to the yeast

if this isn't an early April Fool then this really is the best post i've seen on DIYnot ever.

My only suggestion is to remove rad, drain system and flush. Hopefully the bread will work its way out, but, I suggest you don't try and eat it.

I don't see what's to laugh at actually! It is obvious to me that you have not used Worburtons or Hovis. These are the Industry standard for this procedure. Using inferior bread will always give problems. I suppose you used standard flux for your joints to? For goodness sakes man! Lurpak or Utterly Butterly are the only recognised fluxes these days!

I saw a bloke the other day using a 'Blowlamp' to solder a joint :eek: I mean come on, get with the program guys! This is the 21st Century. Anyone who has any inside knowledge knows that the only way to solder these days is by using the George Foreman Grill! 'Lean, Mean Soldering Machine'!

I think this is all a wind up! Next you'll be telling me I shouldn't be using Newcastle Brown Ale as an Inhibitor :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back