Breakdown cover.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Has anybody else had problems with a company called Homeserve who offer breakdown cover for heating and boilers ???

John.

Sponsored Links
I ve been with them for years and now that I have an intermittent fault on my gas boiler they arent interested. I called out the breakdown engineer and he would not check anything out because it was working again by the time he arrived. Homeserve seeming will not pay the breakdown engineer if he replaces a part and it does not fix the fault.
I think they let people think they are getting cover for the repair of their boiler but only if the part totally fails. In my case where the fault is intermittent they seemingly wont pay for the engineer to try and find what might be causing the problem.

Sponsored Links
worcester 240..

Ch burner keeps going out and the system makes this rapid sparking type sound, relights then goes out again. This process can go on for up to an hour before it seems to light and then continue through the automatic startup sequence and stay lit.

Get them back...you are paying them to repair it.

Keep ringing till they sort it. The engineer will soon get ****ed off.

Sounds like a relay on the pcb. Worcester advise changing both pcb's at the same time (they would :rolleyes: )

yep, sounds like a possible pcb. As has been said keep ringing them. Most large companies have an escalation process where by at certain number of recalls different levels of supervisors/management have to be involved. When you ring tell them its not working at all.

:(
Just when you thought it couldnt get any worse get this.....

I decided to bite the bullet and pay £200 for a Worcester Bosch engineer to visit in an all inclusive package...(labour,parts and vat.)
He came out, took one look and condemmed the boiler. They boiler is in great condition but the flue does not go 6oo mm before a 45 degree bend. He didnt even look at the fault although it was clicking and relighting continuously in front of him. He said the clicking sound was caused by a relay on the board but would not say what could be causing it.
I am over 60 years and registered disabled and my 3 year old son lived with us. We are now sitting in a house with no hot water or any central heating as he switched off the gas and electric to the boiler.
Jock.

sounds like its open flue. But no reason to condemn it unless it fails a test on the flue, it would only be ncs. What did his report say?
Why don't you phone homeserve if your paying them???? keep phoning.

they have not got a clue about boilers and central heating because they are not prepared to pay a decent wage hence thats why they now sub contract to manufacturers better off with british gas

If your over 60 and registered disabled give Warmfront a ring or contact CAB for advice as you may qualify for a Warmfront grant for a new Boiler free of charge.

Not 100% certain if the warmfront scheme operates in Scotland though

Ps if they offer you a choice of boiler take the Baxi not the Ideal

:(
Hi again folks....thanks for the comments.

Firstly mickyg
Yes it is an open flue...seemingly regulations state that flue must rise 600mm before the first elbow. There was also an issue regarding a back wall whick wasn't 100% sealed from the cupbord at the back. Although there was a vent in the floor of the boiler cupboard and \I had specially fitted a louver door....it wasnt enough. I should also fit a vent in the hall floor.

Solman.
My faith in boiler engineers has hit an all time low. I was an engineer working in Space and Defence, Zanussi and finally installing ultrasonic welders and cleaning equipment. When I was sent out to a company, I had to be sure to fix the equipment at the first visit, you could not afford not to or factories or hospitals could be at a standstill. Dont engineers take any pride in there work anymore???

Westbrom.
I understant there is a similar thing in Scotland and I have found it on the web. I have phoned the number and answered all the questions. They are going to send someone out from British Gas to look at the system and hopefully we may get some help.

Its cold in Scotland tonight.

John.

good point jock the reality today is asin my work a computer organises my day [i work for a manufacturer who also does insurance work] according to it a5 mile journey takes 10 mins not thru wembley im afraid and i get 35mins a job meaning a return visit is likely however a lot of engineers will see this and put any part ona boiler and run out of the door because its all target oriantated you cannot visit 9 properties in a day and do aproper job pride in work has gone

Sometimes it is better to use a smaller independent Gas Service company, who have Engineers that do not have to meet targets and schedule times so they have time to actually work out what is going on with a boiler and reach the right conclusion, without having to constantly look at their watch.

example: one of my engineers has today completed 5 service calls, but another has only managed 3, BUT he has had to strip out a thermecon oil boiler flue, to clear the inlet duct and re-seal the innere flue duct, he was at this site (a boiler Service) 4 hours! we cancelled his last two calls and rebooked them for next week, obvioulsy this customer can look forward to a hefty bill for their boiler service, but at least it has been sorted in ONE VISIT.

Large corporations do not seem to be able to operate in this manner so the tendancy is to fit a part and run :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back