Breeched boiler regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just had a plumber in to get a quote on installing a radiator and mixer shower in my small bathroom.

He is refusing to get involved in the project as he says the site of the current boiler does not comply with regulations as it is to close to the bath. (It is on the wall at the foot of the bath). Is this really true?

We bought the flat with the boiler in this spot and it is only 4 years old (according to the people who sold us the flat). Will I now have to have the boiler moved to a different site for it to be legal? Will it be costly if it is only being moved a few feet across the same wall? And is the plumber right in feeling this way about not getting involved?

All advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
It may be in the wrong place for electrical reasons in that it is in zone 1, and probably not suitably protected.

A boiler may not draw combustion air from a bathroom or bedroom. If it is a balanced flue it should not be a problem.

The plumber may not want to do it, this is his right. It seems there is nothing to prevent his doing what you ask, and writing down the non-compliance issues and getting you to sign it. He then has proof you were told.

Moving the boiler, I would treat as removal and replacement, as if it were a new boiler. You then may have further problems.

I work on lots of non-complying installations, because it's damn difficult to find one that does comply.

Yep give us some details on the boiler, if it's an open flued appliance it can't be in a bathroom for sure.
I suspect the reason is more in relation to zoning as oilman said and possibly just an excuse as he didn't fancy the job much. Is he the only estimate you've had?

Not sure of the terminology but the boiler is an Ariston Eurocombi A/23 which I believe has ita vent and air supply combined in the flue.

If we box in the boiler do the zone regulations still apply since the appliance can't be touched?

Sponsored Links
Yes. A cupboard built round it with a locked door will satisfy Corgi. One issue may be "compartment ventilation" - you will have to check the boiler instructions or call Ariston.

Thats great! Sounds much cheaper than moving the boiler altogether. Thanks for your help!

Be advised that the boiler needs clearances specified in the manual in order for it to be serviced. If these are not in place when you box the boiler, repair/ service will be a big problem.

It may be easier and cheaper to fit a 30mA earth leakge breaker and leave it without a cupboard. If you do build a cupboard I think it has to be openable only with tools, eg a spanner or screwdriver

The boiler needs to be enclosed, as does the supply to the boiler, (if in same zone) this is for electrical reasons. Contact Ariston for dimensions/venting requirements for the boiler.

Fitting An RCD is not an alternative to an enclosure

The enclosure does NOT need to be screwed up just secured, as access is required if problems occur. When building enclosure, ensure room is left for access to casing fixing screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back