Breeze block garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a single sling breeze block garage, rendered on the outside. what would be the best method to insulate the walls. do I need to create and air gap? what boards would I use.

also is there anything I can use to insulate the floor before I put wooden flooring down

I am trying to turn it into a home office.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Think DPM membrane, battens and insulation 'cell'. My advice would be to run DPM across the floor and allow it to drape up the wall 600mm. Float T&G boards over say 50-100mm of Celotex for the floor and then trap 100mm Celotex and DPM behind 50mm x 25mm battens for the walls.

Or summat like that.

sorry I am very new to this. for the walls I would use 100mm Celotex. do I need to leave a gap for air to flow. can the be dot and dabbed to the wall? can these be plastered or does plasterboard sit on top of a wooden frame?

No ned for air. Foil tape all insulation joints. Plasterboard fixed to studs, taped and skimmed.

Sponsored Links
what size patterns do I need for 100mmCelotex. how much do I space patterns out

lol - sorry, so I batten the walls 600mm apart, 50mm deep using 25by50mm, do I then cover the wood in-between with the foil ?

Think DPM membrane, battens and insulation 'cell'. My advice would be to run DPM across the floor and allow it to drape up the wall 600mm. Float T&G boards over say 50-100mm of Celotex for the floor and then trap 100mm Celotex and DPM behind 50mm x 25mm battens for the walls.

Or summat like that.
where does the moisture that penetrates the single block go?

it won’t be the same place though. It’ll be trapped behind his insulation.
with the ‘no air’ that you recommended.
sounds like a recipe for mushrooms and a bad smell to me.

It might be just me, but I don't see a difference between this method and full-fill cavity insulation (not that everyone recommends that!).
Or am I missing something? :)

...although, would the battens need better protection from water ingress, if attached directly to the single skin?

Its rendered so moisture should not be an issue not unlike the Kingspan K118 spec
Screenshot (736).png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back