Brick arch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to construct a brick arch from the lounge to the diner? The arch has a flat spot of about 6-8 bricks at the top?
Best Advice???
I am guessing that a ply former is made, but i am worried about the flat top holding in place????

Sponsored Links
I think you'll struugle to make the arch you describe. The whole point about an arch is that all the forces are transferred from the key stone at the centre of the arch to the supports.

is it purely decorational or is it actually going to be taking any weight above it?

Totally no load bearing as in a bungalow. no roof structure above it being supported, only consideration is a small piece of stud wall from top of arch to ceiling height.

Sponsored Links
In that case its only going to have to support its own weight. It can be done if you make a former out of plywood to build the arch on. Try to work it out so that there is a slight rise towards the centre so that the middle brick works as a key stone. use a strong mix of mortar and rake out the joints, so you can go back and point it after in a weaker mix to get the colour you want. That should hold quite nicely. You could consider using a piece of reinforcing bar or similar across it if it is two bricks thick or you are using engineering type bricks that can threadle over the rebar.

You need to get as much of the stud wall in place before you build it to avoid too much disturbance. If you run the sole plate of the stud wall across where the tops of the bricks will be, screw frame anchors into the bottom of the sole plate so they run into where your joints will be. they can then be mortared into the join as you build it to give the support.

Hope it all makes sense

Thermo :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back