Brick pillar 2.4 metres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experienced lot ,

I need to build a brick pillar to support a tiled canopy 2.4 metres high… I’m assuming the foundations will need to be a metre deep… I just wondered if I can build the pillar around a wooden post?
Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
Assumptions are the starting point for most disasters. Foundation depth depends on the ground conditions.
And why would you want to embed a lump of wood in your pillar?

Hi

Yes at the starting point of my pillar.

The reason why I was thinking embedding a piece of timber in the centre of my block work is to help me keep my pillar straight lol and also because there’s currently a post there and instead of taking it down, dragging the props out etc I didn’t know if I could build around it?
Thanks
Jake

I’d use a concrete post if I were you, or build a hollow pillar around some rebar and add concrete down the hole, tamped down.
If there is a roof on the pillar then you don’t want that lot coming down

Sponsored Links
You will find that it's very easy to start pushing that timber post out of plumb with your brickwork. Or the post prevent you from getting the brick faces and arrises in line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back